'08 elections

CPL.Luke

but we didn't allow the insurgent groups to participate in the election, so they don't feel the need to honor it.

Didn't allow the insurgent groups to participate? You have anything to support that? I'm not aware of anyone not able to participate unless, of course, it isn't their country to be participating in...like Iranian soldiers and recruitment forces. Other than that, many groups kept themselves from participating.

We cannot beat the Iraqi insurgents, because they represent an idea, and that idea is that america is bad and should go home, or that they want to be represented more, and you cannot beat ideas. If we go over there and arrest every insurgent, and every Iraqi involved in the resistance then there would be twice the number the next day.

Excellent point and noted. Of course, I'm of the mind that most of the insurgency is provided and funded by Syria, Lebanon, Iran..etc. I will certainly agree that we cannot win an occupation. What I worry about is that once the Iraqis can patrol and invoke order themselves, that they will not be able to win. I'm afraid it will be like vietnam in that once we leave, Iran will take the gloves off and continue the insurgency and run over that country. Without our resolve, I'm not sure the Iraqi people have it in them to fight for their own country.

well the Iraqi police force has proven to be a disaster, essentially acting as death squads and continuing the sectarian violence.

Hence why US troops are heading back into baghdad soon (did it already happen?)

and I remember that there was a bit of controversy over some of the resistance groups not being allowed to participate in the election. (for fears of what happened in the palastinian election happening in the Iraqi election)

The Iraqi police seem to get one of the worst deals on the planet right now. The best job in town for an Iraqi in terms of a regular paycheck and legal disposition, and yet slammed from both sides by rampant violence AND rampant corruption. It's quite a story, and I hope to read more about what's happening with those folks at some future point in time.

Yeah the US forces just re-did Baghdad, to little effect.

Regarding participation, if memory serves they weren't allowed to provide security during the first election, but did so during subsequent elections. That's the national force, however, not local militia units, which would have, of course, only allowed members of their religion to vote.