Stephen Hawking

Hey, the tree, are you only contributing to "Biology Debate Throwdown" because you have nowhere to debate?
Hmmm? Oh it's mostly just that I like having an occasional break from over-critical discussion, challenges and stuff that makes me think to much. :P

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stood about five feet away from him as he was checking in to the APS centennial conference in Atlanta a few years back.

That was the conference where two of the announcements were:

1. Your APS registration does not include tickets to the evening lecture by Professor Hawking. These must be obtained separately.

2. There are no tickets left for Prof. Hawking's lecture.

I saw him give a lecture in Berlin last year. It was on the extent of human understanding of the origin/evolution fo the universe. I was sitting in the second row during the Q&A, and then I passed right by him on my way out of the building. The whole event was like a rock concert for nerds. Big crowds of people.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again ParanoiA I must disagree. I personally despise people who say Intelligence or Knowledge is given to you, your born with it. I worked god damn hard for my knowledge and no God or parent gave that to me. I got it out of pure hard work. People say its given to you as an excuse to not bother trying.

I worked god damn hard for my knowledge and no God or parent gave that to me.

Personal anecdotes aren't evidence. It's clearly a bit of both, otherwise certain skills are not recognized as you grow up. Some people are naturally gifted at mathematics, and some have to work very hard to achieve the same results. To counter your experience, my English and artistic skills were years ahead when I was very young, I even taught other children in my class in developing their spelling and grammar when I was just 7 years old...my parents didn't pressure me into developing skills in any particular area, I just found English came naturally, where as the next person struggled with spelling, sentence structure and vocabulary.

So as it's commendable you've worked hard, and it's clear you are knowledgeable in the field, this isn't the case for everybody. Some people are naturally gifted in a subject, and some, however hard they work will simply not achieve the same results.

Here's a wiki article that you might find interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted

For most of us it is a lot of hard work.

I would not say that am particularly gifted in science or maths, just that I am willing to put in the effort in what are difficult subjects.

There are those who for some reason are "gifted", but most of us are not.

There are those who for some reason are "gifted", but most of us are not.

I'm certainly not denying that, I just feel it's not solely lots of hard work, and not solely being naturally able in a certain field of study. I guess 'gifted' is the wrong term to use, although there are 'gifted' people out there.

If people didn't have a natural ability in certain subjects, then their particular skills wouldn't be recognised...you don't have to be a child prodigy to demonstrate that you find one subject easier over another. A natural flare is discovered in children, it's not taught before hand.

I would say Stephen Hawking is gifted, but he has undoubtedly put in a lot of hard work to.

Yes there are some who are gifted, and for most it is a mixture. But anyone who tells me I am gifted, and says nothing else, is insulting me. Yes Knowledge is Power, SCIGENIUS. Some are born with it, eg A Prince. Some have to earn it eg A President. Some are born with a bit and work with it, eg Donald Trump.

Once again ParanoiA I must disagree. I personally despise people who say Intelligence or Knowledge is given to you, your born with it. I worked god damn hard for my knowledge and no God or parent gave that to me. I got it out of pure hard work. People say its given to you as an excuse to not bother trying.

You are confused. Knowledge is earned. Intelligence is given. When you understand the difference, you'll stop being so judgemental of stupid people...

? Help!

Your intelligence is your ability to process information. Two people can be told the same thing, but one understands it better than the other. One requires less explanation, or grasps the subject matter at a deeper level - comes easier to them. This is intelligence. It's the result of your physiological makeup. Your brain chemistry and design by virtue of mom and dad.

Knowledge is the information you are processing with your intelligence. Knowing the speed of light, or the time dilation equation. These are things you use your intelligence to obtain and understand.

Intelligence can be looked at as potential knowledge if you want. Someone can have awesome potential - a brilliant brain - but know nothing. Someone else can have a terrible noggin - but work hard and attain some knowledge. And then some, like Hawking, have a brilliant brain and the drive to work hard to attain incredible knowledge.

I used knowledge and intelligence interchangeably, as those who have knowledge commonly have intelligence and vice versa. And either you are confused of my opinions, or have a different view on stupidity.

I completely disagree. You don't interchangeably use knowledge and intelligence. That's a ridiculous statement. You obviously don't understand the difference between the two. You use them both at the same time. It is impossible to do otherwise. You have some thinking to do. Quit reacting to my posts, trying to win something - think about what is being said.

Remember, you brought this up. I said I was more impressed with Hawking's resolve dealing with his condition than I was with his intelligence. And I said nothing of his knowledge, nor yours.

This is why people take digs at your age. You're coming off as a typical teenager. You're fighting with every piece of wisdom gained from experience.

Of course everyone has intelligence, but not the same level of intelligence. That's where you're missing the point. And I really don't understand why you're missing it. I thought you were smart, but you seem to be unable to grasp such a simple concept.

I used knowledge and intelligence interchangeably, as those who have knowledge commonly have intelligence and vice versa. And either you are confused of my opinions, or have a different view on stupidity.

They aren't interchangeable, though.

I sound really stupid don't I?
Really childish comes closer, I think, of course that is subjective.

Maybe you should try talking about science itself for a while, and leave the people and ethics assosiated with it until you understand more science.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...