Karaoke CD

Primarygun

probably possible but generally mp3's don't have seperately identified layers voice, backing etc so what programs can do is slightly limited and not always successful heres one site google threw up

http://www.make-your-own-karaoke.com (looks trustworthy but its nothing to do with me!)

or just google

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=removing+voice+from+mp3

But doesn't it raise copyright issues?

If you can find a vocal only track of the same song, theoretically, you could invert it and mix it with the combined track, and the 2 voices should cancel each other out. However, it only works if the vocal track is the same as the one used in the song. You also have to make sure they are synchronized, but it can be done. It's probably a moot issue anyway since you probably won't be able to find such a track for all your songs.

What's more common is an instrumental track, which can be used to isolate the voice from a song by the same principle.

Also, if you own the music in the first place, karaoke is fair use.

If you can find a vocal only track of the same song, theoretically, you could invert it and mix it with the combined track, and the 2 voices should cancel each other out

You'll have to explain that one

Also, if you own the music in the first place, karaoke is fair use

Not in a contest, unless said contest is held in your bedroom . . . and not down the pub

If you can find a vocal only track of the same song, theoretically, you could invert it and mix it with the combined track, and the 2 voices should cancel each other out.

Only theoretically, as the MP3 encoding would have long mooshed the waveform enough to not cancel correctly. You'd get a song with lower-but-not-gone voice and loads of artefacts as the introduced noise and distortions would most likely add.

@OP:

Your best bets are:

* Look for a karaoke version of the song. Many popular songs have one.

* Use a high-powered audio editor and filter out the voice band. The results are less-than perfect but can be from acceptable by a good listener (for an adaptive multiband filter) to almost-acceptable by a bad one. This is time consuming to get right and tend to use expensive software but you have a decent shot.

* Use a quick and dirty stereo remover. Voice tends to have different channel span than instrumentals. Channel mix is a nice touch for real-time filtering. If you plan on bathroom karaoke or small party this will do. For Winamp go and download a DSP filter for "vocal remover" that works by filter or/and stereo mix. There are plenty, many quite nice. Get more than one, some have a really poor implementation. :)

I think what the others are all getting it is the key to this; mp3 files do not seperately store a vocal layer and instrumental layer, which you could seperate.

Therefore you really have two options. One is to try and find an instrument only version of the song, and the alternative is to try and filter out the vocals.

Like Ndi suggested, filtering out the right audio frequencies should remove the vocals, although generally this will be quite crude and nowhere near perfect. Although it could be good enough for your karaoke CD.

I think it can also come down to how long you are willing to spend. When I'm image editing I can do a quick and cheap job, or I can zoom in to 8x and edit each individual pixel one by one. Obviously editing pixel-by-pixel is very time consuming, however if I do it well the image will turn out perfectly. If you spend a long time manually filtering out all the audio it probably will turn out very well, however it would probably turn out to be too much work for what it's worth.