Favourite Death Scene

Royston

I was watching 'when stunts go bad' the other night, some of it was really quite harsh...including a guy falling to his death doing a tight rope walk between two buildings. The programme specifically said nobody died in any of the scenes they filmed, and then they go and show that.

Anyway, it made me think of some of the great death scenes you get in movies (not implying that the tight rope guy scene was great) so are there any particular scenes that particularly make you grimace, is there are drawn out scene that makes you go oooooh, arrrrrrrrr, eeeeeeee. Or is there a satisfying scene when the bad guy gets what he deserves.

There's quite a few I can think of, but I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Butch and Sundance going out in a blaze of glory and smokin' six-guns is a classic.

Another oldy is Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty getting slo-mo shot to pieces by Thompson sub-machine guns in Bonnie and Clyde. Almost like sex. Really graphic for the sixties.

For modern movies I'd vote the double-deaths of the Spaniard and the Emperor in Gladiator. Satisfaction and poignancy at the same time.

And you gotta love the way Steve Buscemi gets it from his partner (forgot the actor's name) in Fargo. Psycho killers + paranoia + axe + wood-chipper = great death scene.

Deer hunter, is definitely a good one. Others that have stuck in my mind are the guy (can't remember his name) who gets attacked in bed in BraveHeart, his head caves in when struck with the ball and chain...the girl who gets struck by a bus in final destination, in fact all the death scenes are great in that film. The maid who gets hit by a truck in The Devils Rejects. I agree with Phi for All on Gladiator as well, very satisfying.

I like the ones in the Saw movies - particularly the two piece head clamp thing with all of the nails in it slamming shut on that dude's head...and while it may not be a death scene, you gotta' appreciate a guy that saws his own foot off to get free.

Considering in most movies you know the bad guy is going to get it in the end, it's always nice when you don't see it coming, or at least the method. What was the movie where the hero and the bad guy are in a plane at an open hatchway and the bad guy looked like he was going to get away with it when suddenly the hero reaches out and yanks on the bad guy's parachute ripcord? Chute opens outside the plane, Baddie gets sucked into the jet engine and it's over so quick it almost takes your breath away.

Am I remembering that right? Anyone remember the name of the movie?

The ending of "The Professional"

That was such an underrated movie. I definitely agree, good ending.

My favorite would be The Chinese connection; Bruce Lee and the guy in the locker room/The Boss.

If anime counts, there are hundreds I could think of that are just sweet.

Am I remembering that right? Anyone remember the name of the movie?

Arrghh, that's gonna drive me insane...I keep on thinking of either James Bond, Eraser (Arnie film) or is it the one with Wesley Snipes errrr. My housemate is a real movie buff, I'll ask him later on.

Arrghh, that's gonna drive me insane...I keep on thinking of either James Bond, Eraser (Arnie film) or is it the one with Wesley Snipes errrr. My housemate is a real movie buff, I'll ask him later on.

Same here...I can see the whole scene right now..except for their damn faces...

I think it's either James Bond - Die Another Day or Die Hard 2 - With a vengance

Same here...I can see the whole scene right now..except for their damn faces...

I think it's either James Bond - Die Another Day or Die Hard 2 - With a vengance

Nice work ParanoiA, it was Die Another Day...here's the quotes from that particular scene;

Graves and Bond are fighting in a depressurizing plane

Graves: Ya see Mr. Bond, you can't kill my dreams. But my dreams can kill you. Time to face destiny.

[James pulls Graves' parachute cord]

James Bond: Time to face gravity.

Man you guys have bad taste. Devil's Rejects? Saw? Ugh. Anyway, some of my favorites:

The end of All Quiet on the Western Front.

King Kong!

Agreed with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Cool Hand Luke.

The end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Psycho shower scene.

The end of Life of Brian (well, imminent death, anyway, and definitely best song about death. Also, has distinction of only non-hackneyed death in a Christ pose.)

And, of course, the best death scene ever, the end of Dr. Strangelove.

I know there are some great ones I'm forgetting....

Man you guys have bad taste. Devil's Rejects? Saw? Ugh. Anyway, some of my favorites:

The end of All Quiet on the Western Front.

King Kong!

Agreed with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Cool Hand Luke.

The end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

The end of Life of Brian (well, imminent death, anyway, and definitely best song about death)

And, of course, the best death scene ever, the end of Dr. Strangelove.

I know there are some great ones I'm forgetting....

I guess I need to put down the books or something because I haven't even seen these movies. Well King Kong and Cuckoo's nest, but none of the others.

I guess I need to put down the books or something because I haven't even seen these movies. Well King Kong and Cuckoo's nest, but none of the others.
After a number of years personally boycotting Blockbuster for some perceived slight, I recently decided to give them another chance (read as, "They forced my favorite indy store out of business"). They have a deal where you get a free movie from the middle of the store each time you rent something new from the outer wall.

The middle has some absolutely fantastic choices. Everything Sisyphus mentioned is there plus a whole lot more, all for free if you rent something new. I'm a reader as well and the only TV the wife and I watch is rented movies.[/end shameless plug]

:P It's not a matter of putting down the books - I rarely see movies (and I don't even have a television), so I make sure the ones I do see are classics.

Man you guys have bad taste. Devil's Rejects?

Oh I agree, the film as a whole is just nothing but gratuitous shock tactics...but that 'does' make for good death scenes. I'm tempted to hire Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid now, haven't seen that movie for about twenty years.

The finale of Scarface is another great death scene, Tony Montana blindly thinking he can take on the world, right till the end.

Geena Davis in "The Long Kiss Goodbye", where she fulfilled her promise to the bad guy, the he would "Die screaming!"

Final Destination, blond girl, fast bus! Still causes me to laugh.

Under Siege 2, where the bad guy, (name unknown played in a movie as Lenny Bruce), lost his grip when Steven Seagal closed the copter door.

Dawn of the dead, (remake), where the nurse plugs the spoiled rich guy between the eyes. Also Night of the living dead, (remake), where the Barbra character shoots Mr. Selfish in the head after a long night of terror.

More if I can think of them!