Intelligent Aliens

When I say intellgent aliens I am talking about a mind that equals humans. Basically a species that is like us with technology would have to look like us. I think the human design is perfect not only for primitive lifestyle but also an advanced one.

Basically, the only way a species is able to get to where we are today is:

- Warm blooded. The body needs internal heat to power a huge brain. So mammals and birds are the only animals that can have a big brain.

- Hands built like ours with thumbs are the greatest body part for building tools and manipulating thier environment. Mammals only have these (I think some dinosaurs did to).

- Excellent eyesight. Great eyes are needed to work with co-ordinating their hands. And to build things. At least two eyes are needed to alow for 3D vision and displaying colour. All primates have good eyesight with colour vision.

- Bipedal. It is not needing for intelligence but in order to build technology and civizilitations the animal needs to stand on two feet allowing their hands free (carrying things, etc).

Humans are the only species on earth that meet that criteria.

I believe only a species with those 4 attributes is able to build civizilitations and technology. It also needs to be social which is very important. But if it doesn't have one of those attributes it will not get to where we are today.

It sounds to me like we've got some :offtopic: discussion.

Anyway, back to Dokta's statement, I disagree with, or at least wish to correct, all of this.

"-Warm blooded. The body needs internal heat to power a huge brain. So mammals and birds are the only animals that can have a big brain."

This sounds like it's coming from someone who only knows warm and cold blooded species. There could be other possibilities. However, this is most likely true.

"- Hands built like ours with thumbs are the greatest body part for building tools and manipulating thier environment. Mammals only have these (I think some dinosaurs did to)."

This is an assumption. A posable thumb is very important, yes, but things can be done without one. What about two fingers, similar length, that could both be moved in many ways? That would work too.

"- Excellent eyesight. Great eyes are needed to work with co-ordinating their hands. And to build things. At least two eyes are needed to alow for 3D vision and displaying colour. All primates have good eyesight with colour vision."

I still like the idea of aliens who feel instead of see, or see in other ways. Otherwise, yes, multiple eyes are pretty much a must. However, color is not necessarily required. IR or UV could probably be useful too, no?

"Bipedal. It is not needing for intelligence but in order to build technology and civizilitations the animal needs to stand on two feet allowing their hands free (carrying things, etc)."

This is the main thing I disagree with. Most likely MULTIpedal is required, but not necessarily. I can imagine a species adapting to one leg, or a limbless species developing arms of some sort, thus moving like a snake but capable of grasping things.

Thus, I think this entire post was written by someone who only imagines life inside the box and doesn't think of the possibilities of other things. Look at monkeys, they can use their tails as an extra 'hand'!

i just want to add to the eyesight thing: they could be like "Daredevil." they could hear very well and use echolocation to imagine things in 3d. or, yes, they could feel very well, but that seems to me like it would be hard unless you could feel beyond your skin (like hair with nerves extending a long distance or something).

oh, and i agree with Rasori with everything

well some efficent method of senseing the immediate enviroment completley, although i think if you had eye/sensors that could detect no only the visible specturm that would be better, and quite confusing to start with. Personally i dont think humans are quite perfect but the best adapted organism in the known universe, non emotional lifeforms would be better.........

If you were super sensative to EM fields you could sense the life in, and location of things as simple plants or small bugs. You would probably need sensors the size of the IR ones on the ass-blasters of the show Tremors. Also a brain that could filter out the noise. Still I think being able to "see" and identify EM sources would probably be a really positive ability.

Just aman

Aman, yeah, I go along with the filtering part 100%.

total overload can be acheived with the 5 senses that we know about, any more would be just adding to the heap and the mental homes would be even more overcrowded as a result.

the use of Instrumentation (our current method of detecting things outside our ability) is probably best however, they do at least have an OFF switch! :)