What's the name of this theory?

Tully_Beaver

I have no idea where to look for this theory. I was watching a show on the science channel, and this theory was described.

Basically, it was a theory that stated that all particles are in contact/communication with each other throughout the entire universe.

The experiment described went something like this: A scientist took two particles and using what I guess is a law of quantum mechanics showed that they both must revolve in opposite directions -I believe this is common knowledge. He then completely separated them in his lab. He then reversed the spin of one of the particles. Instantly, the other particle changed direction of its spin independently. The scientist then coined this theory that all particles are linked and effect each other via some unseen force or something along those lines.

Sound familiar?

The experiment described went something like this: A scientist took two particles and using what I guess is a law of quantum mechanics showed that they both must revolve in opposite directions -I believe this is common knowledge. He then completely separated them in his lab. He then reversed the spin of one of the particles. Instantly, the other particle changed direction of its spin independently.

That had better not be what was described. If it was quantum entanglement, he didn't reverse the spin of the first particle, he measured it. He then instantly knew the spin of the second particle. But changing the spin of one will not instantly change the spin of the other. The first case doesn't violate causality, but the second one does.

That had better not be what was described. If it was quantum entanglement, he didn't reverse the spin of the first particle, he measured it. He then instantly knew the spin of the second particle. But changing the spin of one will not instantly change the spin of the other. The first case doesn't violate causality, but the second one does.

That's exactly what it said. It had two Laurel and Hardy type scientists doing all the demonstrations. I'm guessing the reason for that was to keep things light and humourous, but instead, it was extremely irritating and just incongruent with what the show was actually talking about.

That's exactly what it said. It had two Laurel and Hardy type scientists doing all the demonstrations. I'm guessing the reason for that was to keep things light and humourous, but instead, it was extremely irritating and just incongruent with what the show was actually talking about.

Well, then, in addition to purportedly being light and humorous, it was flat-out wrong.