Cold Fusion question

Guest moonchild1980

Do you believe cold fusion is real?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you believe cold fusion is real?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe in 10 years
    • Maybe in 20 years
    • Undecided

Guest moonchild1980

Do you believe cold fusion can really be achieved or is it just a case of high hopes? I know a few have tried to prove it and now have given up.

No, i quite doubt this is possible the convention of cold fusion is that under certain conditions like fusion atoms/molecules will release large amounts of energy, the paradox i see with this is the substance is supposed to remain cold for the process to be self sustaining but with high scale exothermic reaction, the substance can no longer remain cold so i dont believe this can ever be achieved,no with convential understanding and not in the world as we know it tim

• 9 months later...

In the early 90s two researches claimed they had observed a fusion reaction that emitted energy but occured at room temperature. There results were not valididated by others who performed the experiment, so nobody gave it much credence.

Cold is a relative term remember. Fusion normally requires tens of millions of degrees and a huge amount of pressure to occur. They didn't say it would not heat up, it has to if heat is created, but it certainly would be be around the millions of degrees normally required. Also, the exeriment was not large scale. They had only a small amount of reactants, and they observed a few neutrons. This amount of energy would not heat much of anything even if it did exist.

It may not be entirely incorrect though. While nobody has been able to come to the same conclusions the original two researches did, when performing similar experiments more neutrons are produced then can be normally accounted for. This odd result has prompted many to continue research in the area, although they are often ridiculed as crackpots. They even hold an annual conference if I am not mistaken.

Maybe possible. It would be nice.

I'd like to think cold fusion were a real possibility, but I suspect not. I have just run across this information that tends to support those who believe anyone who seriously believes in cold fusion is a couple of electrons short of a filled orbital.

http://www.iccf11.org/

The 11th ICCF (that's The International Conference on Condensed Nuclear Matter) will be held from the 31st of October in Marseilles.

Marseilles! You hold a conference in the south of France and you site it in Marseilles? icon13.gifIt does raise questions!icon5.gif

On a more serious note their keynote speaker is Brian Josephson (Nobel prize. Josephson junctions. even I've heard of them) who believes there may be something in it, so maybe.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you believe cold fusion can really be achieved or is it just a case of high hopes? I know a few have tried to prove it and now have given up.

Maybe it's a only microscopic..fission-fusion nuclear reaction because are always required elements with an high density...........

I know, but my understanding of the phenomena is that when the current is provided in between the two electrodes the deuterium as it is sepperated gathers at one of the electrodes and becomes more dense after a certain point the density becomes high enough that the deuterium starts to fuse producing energy.

so if its a phenomena brought on by density then very very cold deuterium should also exhibit the process