Resveratrol concentrate increases life span 20%, provides virtual imunity to obesity

iNow

What I missed was putting in the extra words 'in humans'.

Caloric restriction has been proved to work on a number of organisms, but has not yet been demonstrated to work in humans. I have doubts based on :

1. Lots of things work on other animals but do not work in humans, showing that over-generalisation can be misleading.

2. There are lots of human societies that already have diets that represent caloric restriction, but none have exceptionally long lifespans. Quite the opposite in most cases. In some cases, this will be due to nutrient deficiencies, but that should not be the case for every society in which fewer calories are consumed. Some actually have very good, varied diets, while consuming much fewer calories than the western diet. Even those ones do not have appreciably longer life expectancies than my country, for example, with all its obesity problems.

What I missed was putting in the extra words 'in humans'.

Caloric restriction has been proved to work on a number of organisms, but has not yet been demonstrated to work in humans.

How can you continue to make such absolute comments without even checking? What you've just said is ALSO wrong.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=caloric%20restriction%20in%20humans&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=ws

This is getting old, Lance.

iNow

I read the first couple of abstracts in your references. Nothing there about caloric restriction increasing human lifespan. The third reference talked of it reducing atherosclerosis. Fine. I agree. However, that simply reduces the chance of heart disease. It does not actually increase human life span. Human life span, by definition, is the length of life we get if we do not die prematurely. Such as by heart disease. The fourth reference was about biomarkers for predicting longevity. Again not relevent. I stopped at that point.

iNow

If you want to prove me wrong, find the reference yourself instead of expecting me to. Simply posting a long list of references from a google search proves absolutely nothing.

Caloric restriction has been shown to increase the maximum lifespan of various short-lived creatures. It could simply be an adaptation to famine: you got to live long enough to reproduce. Not necessarily applicable to humans. I've heard that being underweight is more dangerous than being overweight. Eg when you get very sick or badly hurt you tend to lose a lot of weight, which is dangerous if you are already underweight. Even if caloric restriction will also increase a human's maximum lifespan, it will not necessarily increase average lifespan so it might not be a good idea.

If the resveratrol has a similar effect to caloric restriction, the same might apply. While mice are similar to humans in many respects, lifespan is not one of them.

• 2 months later...

Well, this is quite the heated discussion. 60 Minutes recently did an interesting segment that covered both the topics of resveratrol (the primary focus), and calorie restriction: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/25/60minutes/main4752082_page4.shtml. I do believe calorie restriction has been proven to have a positive impact on health and lifespan. According the the researchers in this segment, the focus is more on improving health than necessarily on reversing aging. So, with something like resveratrol, a 90 year-old might be as healthy and active as a 60 year-old not taking resveratrol. I think this is the primary focus of the research at this point, which makes sense. I definitely believe a healthy lifestyle along with some resveratrol can go a long way. Pomology makes a great Anti-Aging product containing resveratrol, along with several other antioxidants as well.

I do believe calorie restriction has been proven to have a positive impact on health and lifespan.

Do you have references? Actual scientific studies on *humans*?

AFAIK, calorie restriction is only known to increase lifespan in small, r-selected organisms such as flies and mice. I'm skeptical as to any benefit for a large, k-selected organism like a human.

But caloric restriction means quite near If not all the way anorexya, right?

That can not be healthy, since anorexya stems multituds of other problems with it{right}{hence why It Is bad to be anorexic}, can It?

Not all the way to anorexia: although you are limiting calories, you still need to make sure and obtain all of the required nutrients. There are disadvantages, too. Still controversial. There is a decent summary in Wikipedia. Sounds pretty uncomfortable to me...