Ie7

ecoli

I was wondering if anybody has downloaded it yet? It's supposed to be more secure, and I was wondering if it actually is.

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-bzhimo294950965oct29,0,7979396.story

According to this article, they made some format changes from IE6 that seems pretty pointless to me, just changing things for the sake of changing things, not becasue they were necesarily good changes.

I found it humorous that the announcement of IE7's release and the announcement of the first IE7 exploit appeared on Slashdot the very same day.

OTOH, I've also heard that it may be better to stick with FF1.5 for a while, FF2 is reported to be a bit buggy....

I'd just upgrade to Firefox 2 if I were you. It's recently released, and includes things like a spiffy spellchecker :D

religion

diarrhoea

cat

these spellings were brought to you by FF2.0 :D

hmm... it suggests replacing firefox with fire box :confused:

----------

why would you actually want IE? its demonstrated to be buggy, insecure, it's forced on you, and it's bad for the web. in short, it has nothing going for it. atall.

firefox is sweet, opera is also nifty (not to my taste tho), netscape allows you to switch between geko and trident (ie IE... umm... you know what i mean) engines and has loads of security stuff inbuilt.

the few goodish bits of IE7 (anti-phishing, tabs) have been available in other browzers for yonks. FF, opera, and netscape have tabs; netskape has had anti-phishing for yonks and FF introduced it in 2.0, and i'd assume there's an opera plugin. in other words, the bits that could count for IE dont, because they're pretty standard, and i'd strongly suspect implimented better in other browsers.

i genuinely dont understand why people would even consider IE, barring ignorance of alternative choices.

OTOH, I've also heard that it may be better to stick with FF1.5 for a while, FF2 is reported to be a bit buggy....

I've experianced problems with FF2, though it may have something to do with Firefox preloader not knowing which .exe to use.

i genuinely dont understand why people would even consider IE, barring ignorance of alternative choices.

I wouldn't, I was just curious if it got any better.

I've had the opportunity to test it at work in a lab and it does have some bugs. The biggest one I found (and the the one reason I won't deploy it to my clients) is that it doesn't work well with any version of Adobe Reader. The browser integration frequently fails and often will max out your CPU resources when opening PDF documents in the browser. The only 2 features that are an improvement are the tabbed browsing, and the anti-phishing security features.

religion

why would you actually want IE? its demonstrated to be buggy, insecure, it's forced on you, and it's bad for the web. in short, it has nothing .

If you work in the business world as a programmer, or in almost any area of Information Technology, (I'm talking business not science or academics) then you have to learn to love it and use IE. Visual Studio.net is the greatest programming platform in the world. It allows you to quickly build web applications easily and very quickly which in the business world, means money. Unfortunately, VS is tailored to work with IE and with 90% of the browser market share, why would you build for any other browser?

If you work in the business world as a programmer, or in almost any area of Information Technology, (I'm talking business not science or academics) then you have to learn to love it and use IE.

Hi, I'm a professional web developer. I wrote this.

I certainly test in IE, but... I don't love it. I hate it. And I'd contend that most IT professionals use Firefox as their primary browser. I happen to use a different browser as my primary one, but use Firefox almost as much, and IE only for testing purposes.

Programmers who aren't doing web development don't use IE. IT professionals don't either.

Visual Studio.net is the greatest programming platform in the world.

Yes, there are zealots who will say the same thing about Eclipse, vim, Emacs, and IntelliJ. Doesn't make any of them right.

It allows you to quickly build web applications easily and very quickly which in the business world, means money.

Then why are JSP/J2EE the top web development environments, followed by PHP?

Java is the new COBOL and has been universally adopted by the business world as the definitive platform for the next generation of enterprise applications.

As for me, I use Ruby on Rails, an agile development environment which lets me develop substantially faster than ASP.NET.

Unfortunately, VS is tailored to work with IE and with 90% of the browser market share, why would you build for any other browser?

You're confusing application development with web development. And ASP.NET isn't anywhere close to the leading web development environment.

Anyone building Windows applications is most likely using VS.NET.

Anyone with a clue is at least testing their web applications in IE.

But ASP.NET/IE is by far the preferred developer standard you make it out to be. Developers would much rather be on Firefox.

If you work in the business world as a programmer, or in almost any area of Information Technology, (I'm talking business not science or academics) then you have to learn to love it and use IE. Visual Studio.net is the greatest programming platform in the world. It allows you to quickly build web applications easily and very quickly which in the business world, means money. Unfortunately, VS is tailored to work with IE and with 90% of the browser market share, why would you build for any other browser?

Speaking as a freelance webdeveloper

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing that annoys everyone with IE7 is that it's little quirky bugs are different little quirky bugs from IE6.

The only people I know who use vs.net use it for windows applications, not web stuff, it's expencive, slow and annoying, for web apps.

Anyone used mono for any webapps?

Now, back on topic, IE7 annoys me for the reason I put above, they really need to become more standard compliant quickly!

I don't get it why they stop wasting money on the browser itself, take an opensource browser like FF. FF could be used as an advertising point, thus boosting sales of Windows, as well as saving money on the poor IE developers.

Et voila, problemo solved.

I'm glad the IE team started work on standards support once again (even though a few years too late).

Their implementation of tabs is crummy at best though, I do however like their quick tab preview, that is quite an interesting feature.

Firefox 2 still wins hands down for me though ;)

-- Ryan Jones

I don't get it why they stop wasting money on the browser itself, take an opensource browser like FF. FF could be used as an advertising point, thus boosting sales of Windows, as well as saving money on the poor IE developers.

Et voila, problemo solved.

i dont think that they want to promote the idea that things that you can download from the internet for free are superior to their own products.

Doesn't opera identify as another browser? So it would be hard to track.

It changes its useragent string to one that IE would use, but it adds "Opera 9.0" to the end of it. This means that any script that's just checking to see if it's IE will think it is, but anything looking specially for Opera will be able to tell.

this site says your numbers are wrong.

The statistics on that site are wrong. You have to remember that just having a browser installed on your PC other then IE, doesn't mean IE is never used. My 90% marketshare statistic is probably conservative. My nich is IT for large healthcare organizations which probably close to 95% IE, but I also do freelance programming and web development for other business sectors. I'm no fanboy for EI or Microsoft, but I do most of my programming for Intranets and internal use so I guess I have the luxury of not having to test for other brower types, I just mandate to the company what browser type they must use to run my appliations (and yes, IE7 is a fat buggy SOB.. found more bugs in it today) .

Most estimates (based on useragent strings and other methods) show that IE has a market share of around 85%.

Mandating that a company uses an insecure and non-compliant browser (and thus preventing them from replacing IE with FF, for convenience reasons) is not a wise decision. Cross-platform HTML isn't that difficult if you follow the accepted standards and make a few tweaks for IE.

Also, Visual Studio is a development environment, not a language. In any case, a web application should always be easily tuned to provide output to any browser, however you do it - separation of logic from presentation, anybody?