What makes a religion "bad"?

gib65

OK, now that this thread is in appropriate context, here are some things that a religion could possibly have attributed to it and that I would deem bad.

Internal inconsistency. For example, contradictions on the matter of there being one or many Gods.

Why does # of Gods matter? Hinduism has numerous incarnations of Gods, you can take your pick. Why can't there be some inconsistency? Does everyone have to drink the kool-aide?

External inconsistency. For example, a claim that there is literally a physical temple atop Mount Ólympos when there demonstrably

Religions that are founded on matters that can be disproven might have problems. That's why you don't see many God-men running around. So even External consistency might be dangerous, since it is still open to new information

Inconsistency between faith and practice. For instance, "all are welcome in the house of God", no women in place the place of worship.

Mechanisms to prevent challenging. For instance, it being a sin to question a superior member.

Any faith in the words of a given individual, without critical reasoning as to their authority.

That was my two cents, I have nothing else to say on the matter.

Sounds good.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion - and I am not trying to offend anyone when I say this - organized religion is just plain wrong. I will admit that that the basic principles behind religion are good, but that's never good enough. At its most basic level, religion is just one of hundreds of organizations that want to be on top, and over the centuries, the Catholic Church has committed enough crimes to fill a book. That being said, I am not in any way opposed to believing in a higher power; I am personally am an agnostic. I believe that there might be some kind of higher order in the universe, but my opinion is that we will never know anything about him/her/it.

Why does # of Gods matter? Hinduism has numerous incarnations of Gods, you can take your pick. Why can't there be some inconsistency? Does everyone have to drink the kool-aide?
It doesn't, you might want to read my post again.