Life Sucks

mike90

So Im walking home from work and I'm in a good mood,(rare) even singin along to the songs on my mp3 player on the way. Then I get home, open the front door, and right away I see my sliding glass door is open.

After frantically checking the apartment to make sure there wasn't still anybody inside I checked out the damage. My ps2 is gone, my DVD rack is empty. And worst of all, the cd wallet I keep all my games and movies in is gone too, bringing the total damage up to probably a couple thousand dollars.

And to top it off im about 99% sure it was someone from my apartment complex, so now I feel totally paranoid about getting robbed again.

And no there is no point to this thread other then that Im really pissed off and upset and just needed to vent.

It was pretty obvious they mainly grabbed the closest stuff of value. What they DIDN'T take was amazing, which is why I'm not totally freaking out. They didn't take this pc or the other one sitting about 5 feet from the door they came in either, or my tv or dvd player which are sitting in the living room.

Yeah the I called the cops and when they came over to talk to me and survey the damage they advised checking the pawn shops as well, probably going to go hit them all tommorow

To do what? Buy the stuff back? Or report it?

I believe you shoukld be able to get the pawn shop owners to reveal who sold it to them if you can make a case that their merch was stolen.

That was the idea as pawn shops usually ask for your identification. If I can track my stuff down I report it to the cops then they get the info from the pawn shop and track the person down at their home, which would undoubtably be somewhere in my apartment complex =P

and right away I see my sliding glass door is open.

Most likely they lifted the door up and off the tracks. I walked in on a burgler who used the same method; nearly made away with a laptop. Unlucky mike :( Get it checked out!

It was pretty obvious they mainly grabbed the closest stuff of value. What they DIDN'T take was amazing, which is why I'm not totally freaking out. They didn't take this pc or the other one sitting about 5 feet from the door they came in either, or my tv or dvd player which are sitting in the living room.

But now they know it is there.

Put a security alarm sticker on your newly secured door. Stickers are cheap, though you may want to spring for the real thing.

My largest concern is that they got so little (relatively) is because it was spontanious, and if they had more time and planning they'd have cleaned you out. So, they may do just that when they feel like they have the right moment to.

If you can't afford an alarm system right now, complain to some of your neighbors how you just had to install one and put some stickers up. If these guys are in your complex and they see the sticker or hear you did that, they'd likely assume you did get it installed, considering your recent losses.

They'd probably move on to another target.

I hope they catch the guys and you get your stuff back.

If the guy's not a complete idiot he'll go to multiple, far away pawn shops, so I wouldn't count on finding anything. However, plenty of burglars are idiots. A house where four of my friends were living was burglarized by the same guy three times in one week. By the third time, they were taking turns keeping watch, and they actually ambushed him, hit him with a maglight to stun him, and then all held him down while they called the police. Life sucks, yes, but sometimes you get revenge. ;-)

Mike -

Install a couple or more spacers at the top of your sliding glass door. They're fairly cheap and all they do is fill in that extra space at the top of your door which is used to lift the door off of the track. For less than 10 bucks you should be able to at least keep them from getting in through that door, short of breaking the glass. I hope you have a stick for securing it closed as well right? If not, buy a 2X4 and cut it down and they'll never get your door open again.

My mother leapt into action and went out and bought me one of those Club type bars you brace in your sliding glass door. Hopefully that will be enough for the short term. My mom's offered to let me move back home temporarily and live rent free so I can save money and move to a better apartment and it looks like thats what Im gonna do.

I figure in 6 months I should be able to save close to $10,000 dollars without bills to pay. So maybe it'll all work out better in the long run. Im pretty sure it was one of my neighbors kids that did it, so I just might get lucky with the pawnshops but I do see it as a long shot.

Most likely they lifted the door up and off the tracks.
I don't know about this. mike90 said the door was open. You think these quick-hitters took the time to put the door back on it's tracks, then just left it open? I think, since mike90 didn't mention pry marks, he just left it unlocked or it was easily broken.

I feel for you, it's terrible to have your home violated like that, but try not to turn a micro incident into a macro "Life Sucks" scenario. When your life is about to take a big positive change it sometimes requires a little negative charge.

My mom's offered to let me move back home temporarily and live rent free so I can save money and move to a better apartment and it looks like thats what Im gonna do.

I figure in 6 months I should be able to save close to $10' date='000 dollars without bills to pay. So maybe it'll all work out better in the long run.[/quote']Good plan. The biggest pitfall? Having all that extra spendable can get pretty tempting. I used to open a separate account where the money went in and never came out till I reached my goal. It's so easy to justify some big purchases when your checkbook has a few new digits it never had before.

Life Sucks is just kinda where I live right now. Im not the worlds happiest guy and stuff like this happening all the time doesn't help. But im working on constructive solutions and trying to be optimistic. I think it'll be easy to keep an eye on the money since i'll be living at my parents the whole time and i'll feel somewhat accountable to spend responsibly seeing as they're helping me out so I can improve my life.