Transparant Heating Elements !

qwerty123

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, glass blocks UV, not IR.

Plastics and quartz allow them to pass, but some plastics aren`t great at Far IR.

it`s ALL very Material and Frequency dependant, there`s no real rule of thumb that can be applied, but think Greenhouses and you`re not far off :)

i think the heatig side of things i got sorted out , im going to use some sort of oil , becuase i do not think the ultra thin wires are possible . Also i do not think the infa red would be feasable , probably expensive and would require protection for the user. So the oil would be good but need a specific oil that would be perfect and could quickly heat up , thanks for the advice from everyone !:D

for the heating eliment im going to use Nichrome and run a current through it. Then i suppose i just simply place that into the liquid and try and get some idea of how much i can heat this stuff

we're not all prepared for a 5 minute warm-up time, and potentially dangerous temperatures for some time after.

most materials that are transparent to visible have difficulty producing IR (oil inclusive)

i think you should keep it as simple and fail safe as possible, boiling oil on fire is pretty dangerous, (make sure you experiment with plenty of sand available)

what about those gas radiators, they use a gas flame over steel mesh to produce IR, brushed aluminium reflectors seem to work well on far IR.

you could make it into a gas stove attachment. it's also possible to experiment with more IR at lower energies (cooler mesh) to make a deeper toasting or less IR at higher energies to give a surface burn.

I think we have concluded that the lasers are going to be more impractical than the fluid loop so heat transfer via radiation isn't worth considering due to convection and conduction.

Note of uselessness: w00t my post count is the same as the year i was born in!

• 2 months later...

CVD polycrystalline diamond is what you want you need to get yourself a sheet of diamond then all you would need to do is heat the sides of the diamond plate. As diamond is five times better at conducting heat then copper the heat would spread across the sheet very quickly. Don’t now how much they cost like probably quite a lot as the its new technology which allows sheets of diamond to be made.

http://www.diamond-materials.com/disks_en.htm

I wouldn’t mind some glasses made out of some of this stuff then they would be scratch proof.

i just read that the surface of the bread needs to get between 150 and 260 degrees celsius to brown properly without charring.

all toasters run on IR. a convection toaster is called an oven.

insane alien, in my last post, i did not mention lasers, nor any form of stimulated emmision. my last post basically describes a toaster with relocated elements and a suitable reflector to keep the glare off your telly's receiver.