Transparant Heating Elements !

qwerty123

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have another idea, why not simply have it sitting on a pedastal with an intense infra red source pointing at it. (co2 laser anyone?) of course you wouldnt see the light, but you'd see the bread going brown, a normal toaster uses mainly IR transfer of heat anyway, it does use convection to a limited extent but you'd get much the same effect by simply shining IR at the bread.

use peanut (groundnut) oil, it easily takes those sorts of temps and higher before it tries to vaporise, and as it would be a sealed unit there`s worry of oxidation over time, and IF there was ever a leak, it`s perfectly edible too :)

I think that's a WHEN rather than an IF.

Another problem with a liquid system is that you are going to lose heat in both directions and you need glass thick enough to safely contain the liquid. The advantage of the heating element on the inside of the glass is that you are using the insulating properties to your advantage, since you really don't want something that gets hot on the outside. A liquid system is gong to require much thicker glass on the outside, and thinner towards the bread.

The fact that somebody is trying to commercialize this and has thus far failed indictaes to me there is an uphill battle ahead for this as a garage project.

glass is used as an example here you could use fused Quartz like that in Halogen lamps, but simple Borosilcate ranges from 700 - 1200c, plenty sufficient when your only looking at 250c Max.

and Convection is Perfectly adequate in this instance also (think electric Oil Filled radiators).

Swansont Why do you say When? if the seal is adequate it shouldn`t leak ever. think Glorified Lava-Lamp here :)

well im not really thinking of mass producing it but hey if i get itworkign then why not lol ! I dont think i would be able to use the thin metal anyway becuase of patent protection on it. So the liquid one seems good to me and seems possible. But would the toast need to be virtually touching the glass ? On the users side of the glass it could be heat proof ?

my comment on post 52, what sources of infra red light would be capable of this sort of thing? you could have a reflector underneath the bread and the bread in a simple wire stand. if you felt like being really safe you could get a material for a veiwing window that blocks IR but not visible. (it really only needs to be as safe as a toaster, curtains are still allowed to catch fire)

hence the (poorly worded) question of alternative IR sources

i think you could do this with a heating element much the same as in a standard toaster but with a reflector/focussing optics

im thinking a linear element at the focal point of a roughly parabolic mirror.

I saw an episode of "mythbusters" recently where a sheet of glass between a bodyheat source and an infra red detector rendered the detector ineffective.

Are you sure that glass will transmit the energy spectrum you want? My oven door is glass, it remains relatively cool whatever the oven temperature.