Transparant Heating Elements !

qwerty123

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has heard of anything that can be used as a heating element , yet is transparent. Like transparent metal for example ? Glass as we all know is a poor conductor of heat ! But there has to be something else

Thanks

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has heard of anything that can be used as a heating element , yet is transparent. Like transparent metal for example ? Glass as we all know is a poor conductor of heat ! But there has to be something else

Thanks

Bulk metals won't work, since good electrical conductors won't be transparent. I'd suspect that some kind of conductive glass, ceramic or possibly even plastic or polymer would be a possibility. Doping/deposition of some conductive material or really tiny wires.

Time to Google:

http://www.minco.com/products/heaters.aspx?id=76

ooh, a transparent toaster that doesn't get hot enough (yet) to toast bread: http://www.yankodesign.com/product_info.php?products_id=1015

"heating glass" that has a super-thin metal-oxide layer to heat the glass http://www.iqglas.com/en/text_product.html

YT's idea is, as always, a good one. and probably the most realistic. a simple heat exchanger is a pretty good way to go, just try and get a working fluid that has a similar refractive index to the glass, perspex, diamond, whatever. Heat the fluid with your standard metal heating element and pump it through the tube. hey presto. you have a transparent heating element.

diamond is another way to go as it has an extremely high melting(sublimation) point and very high heat conduction properties but as of yet, is still pretty expensive to manufacture in tube form.

no i did not think they did either . I have been looking into these ultra thin cables on google , can they really be thin enough that they are not visible to the nacked eye ! I will carry on looking see if i can find anything

Thanks

ok, the toaster idea. lets go with that.

You could wait for the heat to transfer up the glass which would be a bit slow and the gradient would cause the bottom to be black and the top to be white.

OR you could have the mini wires which is bound to be hard to make or you can have a clear oil running through the glass (means the glass has to be kind of thick but not too thick) which will give an even heating and can still get high temps. its also REALLY easy to make. and won't burn out as easily as i suspect the tiny wire version would.

yeh , im asuming the thin wires would burn out once enough power is put through it to toas bread . Therefore you would need a lot of wiring and therefore once it glows it wouldnt really be transparent. So yeh some sort of liquid that can be heated enough , the glass wouldnt need to be thick would be toughend glass and heat resistant on the users side. This would need to be really hot fluid!

Front car windscreens have ultra thin wires in them ? I know back windows do have small cables running throught them.

Modern fords (for about 5 years) higher spec ones have had ultra thin ones that are bearly visable.

Let me find a link....

ok so fords site is being slow but look for "heated windscreen" on ford models in the UK...

||edit:

http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/mondeo/mdo_0504_body/mdo_0504_body_st220/-/-/-/-

Have a look at "quickclear"

Front windscreen heating elements do exist. My dad had the Ford Mondeo for many years and you could see them if you looked closely. They're significantly thinner than the standard heating elements on rear windscreen and you could probably miss, especially if you weren't expecting it.

Just do a google search for ultra thing wires or go to an electrical supplier and see the finest wire they sell.

It doesn't release energy as visible light. It will emit IR, and if you passed a very high current through it could glow red. However the currents are nowhere near that high, consequently only IR light will be given off. Just like most warm bodies.

how about Halogen? or even gas-plasma like a photo-flash tube?

if you break it down, heat has 3 modes, Convection, Conduction and Radiation.

I`m assuming that you`re after the radition type since the the thing has to be transparent.

You don't even need it coiled, the real life examples usually the wire is almost straight but with a very slight squiggle (a sinusoidal curve with a very low amplitude - how do you say that simply?!).

The main thing you would be relying on is the conduction, surely. Most of the IR radiation will not pass through much of the glass. The wires heat up because of their resistance and the warm wire, via conduction, heats the surrounding glass.

Now we all know that glass in not a very good thermal conductor, which is why the wires are very close. About 5mm between them. That is quite close, but remember these wires are so fine that you have to look very closely just to see them, so it does not effect the transparency in any significant (to the human eye) way.