Africam

blackhole123

It's a crocodile. You can tell by the IR eyeshine. They're in just about every permanent body of water in Africa, and are mostly nocturnal.

You can hear frogs calling. Well, a frog.

Mokele

I didn't think that was big enough to support a croc. Will they cross much land to visit waterholes and such?

I vaguely remember a documentary where, indeed crocs travelled considerable distances over land. I have the feeling this was in response to overpopulation, search for new breeding grounds, or the young being driven out by mature crocs. Rather vague, sorry, but I do remember something along those lines.

If it's the dry season, they'll often cross long distances simply to find any water at all, and such movements are most common in smaller crocs. It may simply be a small animal waiting out the dry season.

Mokele

• 2 months later...

Nice! Apparently I missed this the first time it was posted. Can't see anything but fireflies or something now... Although I'm waiting for a dangerous animal to appear and for someone like Nigel Marven to go and catch it by its neck or something.