wireless card that uses anything other than pci

H2SO4

When i built my pc i bought a realy high end mobo, but the strtange thing is that it has a bunch of other port (2 pci-x, 2 pci x1, and 1 pci x4) and only two standard pci slots. I have in one an xfi soundcard, and in the other a network card ( i also have dual lan on my mobo, so i dont realy need it, but i do like it, as its nice at lans). SO no more pci slots. But now i need a wireless card and i dont want a usb one. USB adaptors never seem to be as fast and my friends is always buggy (he has a name brand linksys also) and also i like having internal things, as oppesed to the usb substitute. SO im wondering if they make a wireless card that uses either pci x1 or x4. I cant seem to find any on google.

• 2 months later...

He might have an old USB or a misconfigured USB. Older USB go to 1.5 MBPS and 12 MBPS, with the WiLAN card pumping 11 MBPS easy (they go higher).

USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, way more than you'll ever need. It's trickier to configure, but it'll get there. Make sure you have USB 2.0 (shows as "enhanced" or 2.0 USB - consult your MB docs and install needed drivers - it's not native on most OSs and you can't tell the difference).

Also, it doesn't have to be external. Some cards fit into any slot without using it (dummy slots) and hook up internally to an USB pin connector in the motherboard so for all intents and purposes it's internal. I had a Bluetooth card like that.

If not, you can look for a PCMCIA converter. Wireless cards come in this format by the truckload and work just fine. Even an USB-to-PCMCIA (if any) could clean things up as your computer will see it as a normal card.

You should be able to plug a PCI card into a PCI-X slot and get it to work. Although it might slow down the other PCI-X cards to PCI speeds.

how will he get the PCI-X slots though? he described PCI-e (e as in express) which is more likely as these are everywhere now. These are physically a different shape and size. it wouldn't work.