BIN file confusion

aj47

I'm a bit annoyed at the moment as I just spent a week downloading a torrent to find it's in a wierd format that I don't know how to work. When I open up the file there's one BIN file that doesnt do much when I click on it, and a 'burn at once icon' which when I open and click 'write' it just says 'current project does not match inserted media'.

Anyway i'm bored of clicking random things in the hope it will do something. Does anyone know how to play it?

.bin is a disk or CD image, kind of like cue or iso files.

Try getting something like Demon Tools:

http://www.techspot.com/download208.html

Install that

Run it (it opens a prog which runs in the system tray)

Right click on the system tray

Go to the Virtual CD/DVD

Select a drive and click Mount Image

Then just browse and select the .bin file

Then go to my computer and it will appear (or it might auto start) like a normal CD. Except there's on physical CD, hence it's known as a virtual CD drive.

hmm I did that but when I click on the new drive in my computer, it just opens up four wierdly named folders each with VCD files which won't open.

What did it originally claim to be? A movie?

It's series one of 'the young ones' which I highly recommend to anyone.

Cool.

It is common thing when downloading big files that they don't have the expected file extension. Often they are zipped with the .rar extension. You need to unzip this with winRAR. This sometimes get people because they expect anything zipped to be .zip, this is not the case.

The other most common suprise is to get, as aj47 got, a CD image. Extensions like:

.iso

.cue

.bin

.mds

are all CD image files. You open them all using a Virtual CD program, such as Demon Tools (see post #3).

Just a notr for some strange reason some programs that use automatic updates (such as anti-virus applications) use the .bin extension to store definition list's and the like, probably because [ui]bin[/i] represents binary[/b], the format in which the information is stored.

-- Ryan Jones