Polynomial Functions

ender7x77

K i got this application question the other day in my introduction to calculus class and i was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand.

Katie is building a wooden rectangular storage box. The box will have an open top and a volume of 1.5m cubed. For design purposes, Katie would like the length of its base to be triple its width. Thick wood for the base costs $8/m squared and thinner wood for the sides costs $5/m squared.

a) Express the cost of the wood as a finction of the width of the base.

b) Find all possible dimensions if Katie spends $44 for the wood.

c) what dimensions would you recommend? Why?

Now, i think if someone could help me with a) then i probably would be able to get the rest. I have figured out the base of the box is 3w + w, where w represents the the width size, but given that i do not know how to get the height of the box. I believe if i can determine the w variable then i could find the height by manipulating the formula for the volume of a box (V= lwh). anyways any help would be greatly appreciated..

In order to solve this problem the assumption is made that the thickness of the wood can be neglected, so we simply work with width w and not with w plus a few mm for the wood's thickness.

First compute the height as a function of w.

The area of the base is 3w². The total volume must be 1.5 m³. So, the height is 1.5/(3w²) = 0.5/w².

Now, what is the area of the sides? There are four sides. Each side has a height of 0.5/w² and two of them have a length w, and two of them have a length 3w. So, the total area of wood for the sides is 2*3w *(0.5/w²) + 2*w*(0.5/w²), which is 3/w + 1/w = 4/w.

So, the cost of the box is 5*(4/w) + 8*3w². = 20/w + 24w².

E.g. for a box with a width of 2 meters, the cost would be 20/1 + 24*1*1 = 20+24 = 44 dollars.

This is the answer to question (a). Now try to obtain the answers for (b) and ©. You have seen the reasoning and now the others should be possible for you.

In order to solve this problem the assumption is made that the thickness of the wood can be neglected, so we simply work with width w and not with w plus a few mm for the wood's thickness.

First compute the height as a function of w.

The area of the base is 3w². The total volume must be 1.5 m³. So, the height is 1.5/(3w²) = 0.5/w².

Now, what is the area of the sides? There are four sides. Each side has a height of 0.5/w² and two of them have a length w, and two of them have a length 3w. So, the total area of wood for the sides is 2*3w *(0.5/w²) + 2*w*(0.5/w²), which is 3/w + 1/w = 4/w.

So, the cost of the box is 5*(4/w) + 8*3w². = 20/w + 24w².

E.g. for a box with a width of 2 meters, the cost would be 20/1 + 24*1*1 = 20+24 = 44 dollars.

This is the answer to question (a). Now try to obtain the answers for (b) and ©. You have seen the reasoning and now the others should be possible for you.

thanks a lot...i'm gonna get some sleep cuz i had a long day and try it tomorrow...thanks once again i was beginning to think no one was gonna respond