Wireless card -- getting bad connection

-Demosthenes-

My wireless card on my PC was working great for a while, but for about a month it's been getting a "low" connection and it periodically cuts out altogether. I've updated the drivers, no difference. It has the same responce when I boot into Ubuntu, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the environment. What could be messing up my connection? What can I do to optimize a wireless connection?

My wireless card on my PC was working great for a while, but for about a month it's been getting a "low" connection and it periodically cuts out altogether. I've updated the drivers, no difference. It has the same responce when I boot into Ubuntu, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the environment. What could be messing up my connection? What can I do to optimize a wireless connection?

I have had this problem for a long time under XP. It doesn't seem so bad under Vista.

Following a suggestion I disabled the Wireless Zero Config service in Windows XP earlier today, and I have not had any of the poor connections or periodic cut-offs since.

Any new networks around you, like from a neighbor?

2 others that I can periodically detect.

Following a suggestion I disabled the Wireless Zero Config service in Windows XP earlier today, and I have not had any of the poor connections or periodic cut-offs since.

I'll try that.

Are you using it in the same room that you have been using it in for the last few months?

If you just moved to a new place which might have metal reinforced walls or something... I'm not sure, to be honest.

Sadly yes, I'm in the same room. The laptop floats around though, usually in the same room through. It is also having problems, but I don't use it so it might have always had problems :P

I'm going to try the rest of the channels :D

Edit: Channel 1 seems to work well with the laptop, but not my desktop so much. It's better,still at "low", but it's not dropping out anymore, which is very nice :). I'm moving the router around, to get it as close to this computer as possible.

• 5 months later...

The antenna was loose so I took a length of phone cord and wrapped it around it a couple times and tied it to the case. Ever since then I get a great signal. Could the cord act as an extension to the antenna? Is a phone cord shielded from interference?