the tenth planet in solar system

ramanan

ramanan said in post #1 :

If an asteroide or any spherical object is found after the pluto, can sun be able to hold this object ?Is gravitational force of the sun extend up to pluto only?

Gravitational force is infinite in range, but decreases in strength as 1/r2

it would really all depend on it`s mass, trajectory and distance from our Sun, it could quite easily be "captured" in the pull of another gravitational feild that had a greater influence upon it, maybe even Pluto itself and become a moon? although I rather fancy that it would head for a planet of greater density such as Jupiter or Saturn long before reaching the Sun :)

To put it simply can you guys give me the sun's gravitational or magnetic field range overall. I mean let us not consider an object

that could disrupt sun's gravity so that we can able to calculate its full range of gravitational field.

Just like planets having gravitational field.

Are u saying connecting all the planets gravitational force or the sun alone.

because things may look diferrent if taken sun alone than to link its orbiting freaks.

in general it can't cum to infinite range how far it can go is the question.

the planets and sun are astronomical magnets which has got its own magnetic field range.no matter what.

and this is my belief let me know how u contradict Mr......Ljakiri

ah one more thing when strung together a big magnet can infinitely hold other small magnets until another big magnet takes away few small magnets withit .same thing happens in the universe as well . but when u want to view the big magnet's magnetic field it wud be different.

so like this has anybody taken pain to measure this TRIVIAL case.

show me some evidence.

the Oort cloud itself is a fascinating peice of "unknown", it`s quite possible, if not probable that a body within it may have a mass greater than that of Pluto, however it`s distance and the violence/chaos of movement would perhaps negate any other than the rellative smallest of objects to escape, and possibly be on a path towards our solar system, I`de hazard to say that larger bodies would perhaps accumulate matter and maintain a rough approximation of its initial trajectory/orbit and so stay put.

Pluto is such a small planet though, it would be very difficult to determine all the permutations of gravitational influence :)

There should be a set escape velocity for our solar system independant of the mass escaping. If it is 1kph less then escape velocity it should reach a designated distance from the sun and stay there until its orbit decays. This means it still will maintain the velocity-1kph in a circular trajectory around the Sun and slow as it falls. Shouldn't this allow for a calculation of limit of our solar systems range.

Anything out near the limit and large should be the last planet. And like YT says its unstable out there and a collision could add velocity to permit the body to escape or subtract velocity and hurl it into the solar system.

Just aman

I get a rough estimate of 1.5 ly for the radius of the Sun's gravitational sphere of influence. At this distance, the tendancy for an object to travel in an independant orbit around the center of the galaxy will over ride the Sun's ability to hold the object in orbit around itself.

If Gravity is smooth then it should have a mathematical effect on the boundries of the universe to infinity. If it is measured in some obscure quanta then it will be finite as it reaches that quanta limit as in a Planks limit.

Just aman

Duke said in post #16 :

How do you know the gravitational range of the sun is infinite? At some distance you must agree that the gravtational force of the sun is nullified.

The fact that it is eventually outweighed by gravitational attractive forces caused by other bodies does not mean that it is not there.

In physics, one tends to get an answer to the question one asked. Precision of language is therefore paramount.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There was fairly large body discovered beyond Pluto a little while ago. I think it was like half the size of pluto or something, so you could call it the 10th planet if you want to, but considering Pluto is hard enough to consider a planet considering its tiny size. Whatever.

'']There was fairly large body discovered beyond Pluto a little while ago. I think it was like half the size of pluto or something, so you could call it the 10th planet if you want to, but considering Pluto is hard enough to consider a planet considering its tiny size. Whatever.

Is Zacharia Sitchin's "The Twelth Planet" a technical resource?