The legality of radioactive minerals and objects etc in the UK

Doobuzz

Just out of interest does any body know what the law is over the possession of uranium rocks and objects such as radium painted clock-hands UK? I know that they are freely available through companies like united nuclear in the US but they don't seem to appear anywhere in this country. Can anyone provide an explanation?

Just out of interest does any body know what the law is over the possession of uranium rocks and objects such as radium painted clock-hands UK? I know that they are freely available through companies like united nuclear in the US but they don't seem to appear anywhere in this country. Can anyone provide an explanation?

Sorry I don't know about in the UK. But in Canada, where the law is probably really simular.

You're alowed around 12 kilos of ore before you need a permit.

I recently became a certified nuclear energy worker :).

Which means my lab can dose me with more radiation then the general populace without breaking the law :(.

No idea but considering how strict it is here for normal chemicals I'd guess trying to import something like that without the correct permit would get you in trouble.

Just my opinion, I don't know for shure.

-- Ryan Jones

Ive checked with the hpa and it doesnt look illegal :rolleyes: It simply says that if you have any highly radioactive samples you may wish to store them in a shed!

http://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation/publications/newsletters/environmental_radon/1998/ern14.pdf#search=%22uranium%20-depleted%22

If anyone knows anything else feel free to post

[Edit] and here http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/radioactivity/government/legislation/exemption.htm#2