Computer History

BigMoosie

Hi,

I came home and opened winamp today to find a file in the playlist that I have not opened recently, I checked the winamp.ini file and discoverd that it was last modified at 8:08pm, a time that I was out of the house. I am interested in finding out what was accessed on my computer, there are no strange cookies or temporary internet data but what else can I check and how?

Regards,

Moosie

Hello

If you leave you system on, and it has access to the internet, there are program that can self connect supposedly to do such things as self updates.

Others wait for you to login then will run checks in the background. Of course this is for your benefit, to keep you up with the latest version. They never collect or keep any personal information they find, or use it to check for illegal software. They are swell lads that way.

Mr D

Hmmm... I ran a search and found a few files that were opened in the time period. I am pretty certain that it was my sister and not some random program doing an internet update. My main concern is that she had access to my room where I store copious amounts of chocolate and alcohol that I'm sure she must have gotten into. I think I will install a more advanced logger, know of any?

Well, there is nothing very important on my computer, I just want to catch her red handed.

Key logger maybe? Action logger would do the job - it would tell you the time it happened and the things that were accessed, what was types etc. These are pretty effective as long as the person doesn't know they are there.

-- Ryan Jones

I have installed a keylogger, but I would use a webcam if I had one, that is a good idea. I fear though that she may not use the computer next time she enters the room because she knows I suspected her last time so a webcam might be the only thing that will work. I will have to see.