Is the politization of Accepted Medical practice harmful.

Rebiu

If you think we understand autism well, you are badly mistaken. It is only recently that researchers came up with a possible cause for it. Current treatments treat the symptoms, not the disease.

This study in no way contradicts or disputes the toxic metal connection to Autism. It you look you will find that toxic metal cause the effect they speak of.

Good, I am happy to hear your son is receiving benefit from the treatment. I am just asking you to be careful.
I appreciate you demeanor. Perhaps you could move this thread out of Pseudoscience as a show of respect for diversity of opinion.

Seriously, the vaccine-autism link has been so thoroughly debunked that clinging to it, even out of misplaced hope, is just pathetic.

Look at the site you linked to: a crappy webpage for a society with *no* peer review pubs to back up it's ludicrous claims.

Hang on, give me 3 hours and I can whip up a site claiming scientific evidence that autism is caused by exposure to cross-eyed turtles. Better keep the kids away from the ponds!

I appreciate that your son's condition is hard on you, and you badly wish there was a way to fix it, but clinging to obsolete conspiracy theories will get you nowhere and give you nothing but false hope.

Mokele

It appears you position is in a bit of trouble. Perhaps you could weight in with the thorough debunking you are so confident of.

Why only the one Vaccine?

Because if the hypothesis that thimerosal is the causative agent of autism is true, then *any* vaccine using it will show effects. Or are you suggesting that a simple compound is somehow "different" between vaccines?

There was an adjustment in the study for potential confounders

Yeah, and? These could be adjusting for something like Downs syndrome of traumatic brain damage. Just because something is adjusted doesn't mean it's invalid; if it were, it would not have made it through peer review.

the results found a .83 percent chance in nonvaccinated group for Autism spectrum disorders.

Actually, that's not what it says. Furthermore, those results are extremely damning to this thimerosal BS. Think about it: You're claiming that vaccines containing this compound cause autism. If that were true, there should be a *VASTLY* elevated risk, like 70% increase, or even 20% increase. But what do we see? Not even 1%, and I strongly suspect that 1% is due to those who've heard this ridiculous theory getting their vaccinated kids tested (uncovering low-level autism that would have otherwise gone unnoticed).

This will underrepresent the mild ASD cases that never see a doctor.

Any condition with is present in a spectrum *must* have a cut-off point in order to be even definable. What you're saying is equivalent to saying "Well, they were studying dwarfism, but they didn't include kids who may be just a bit taller than the clinical definition."

the treatments administered by the DAN certified doctor are curing my son.

Annecdotal evidence is worthless. How do you know he wouldn't have improved on his own? How do you know the treatment (rather than some other recent change such as in diet) is responsible? The *ONLY* way to address these issues satisfactorilly is expansive studies. Oh, but you don't like science, nevermind.

This link Something Rotten In Denmark

Worthless conspiracy theories. Let's look at the first slide:3 papers on the same topic, in the same top-tier journal, by closely linked research groups. OMG, CONSPIRACY WTF!!

Wait, I'm noticing something: In the past few years, there have been numerous high-level papers in the same journals by closely linked research groups (including mine) on lizard locomotion. OMG, THERE'S A GLOBAL CONSPIRACY TO CONCEAL THE TRUTH ABOUT LIZARD LOCOMOTION!!

It's a topic of interest, and so labs run by people who have similar training (the training needed to evaluate the issue) all take a swing at it. Gee, who'd've thought scientists aren't all totally isolated from each other.

You do know that most scientists are on a first-name basis with other major people in their field, right? Shit, I've seen pictures of a great name in fish locomotion naked in the shower (he's got a kickass lamprey tat on his right shoulder).

The allegations of industry ties are similarly worthless; *ALL* scientific papers are evaluated for this potential issue.

I won't waste my time with the rest. If it's true, why isn't it in a peer-review journal? Another OMG CONSPIRACY?!

Perhaps you could move this thread out of Pseudoscience as a show of respect for diversity of opinion.

That only applies to opinions that have factual support. Yours does not, and you have failed repeatedly when asked to provide it.

It appears you position is in a bit of trouble. Perhaps you could weight in with the thorough debunking you are so confident of.

Sure, no problem: Proof that your OMGWFT CONSPIRACY is a load

Yes, it's the same article. Since you utterly failed to offer any reason these results are in any way flawed, it stands as evidence, as much as you may wish it didn't.

I swear, if I didn't know autism was incommunicable, I'd think your son had spread it to you.

Mokele

Because if the hypothesis that thimerosal is the causative agent of autism is true, then *any* vaccine using it will show effects. Or are you suggesting that a simple compound is somehow "different" between vaccines?
This does not answer the question as to why they did not simple gather the information on all vacinations. In answer to you question the amount of mercury is critical to the issue. Children recieve many more shots that this with mercury.

This does not answer the question as to why they did not simple gather the information on all vacinations.

He did answer that question by pointing out that any vaccination using the mecury can be equally validly studied. There is no need to gather information on all vaccinations.

Perhaps you could now try and answer some of the points and questions Mokele has raised?

In answer to you question the amount of mercury is critical to the issue. Children recieve many more shots that this with mercury.

:confused: Your point is obscured by poor grammar.

Incidentally, are you aware of the theory that Autism is genetic?

Vaccines do not cause autism. The causes seem almost overwhelmingly genetic:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/16/autism.genes.reut/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2192611.stm

While there is no one "smoking gun" risk factor involved in autism, genetics clearly plays a very important role.

There isn't even a statistical correlation between the use or discontinuation of vaccines containing mercury and autism. Countries which have banned them have seen no change in rates of autism.

Shit, you want proof mercury doesn't cause autism, I've got it first hand: me. You know how they say don't bite the thermometer? Well, I did, got a mouthful of glass and some weird slick metal liquid down my throat. Yes, it was a mercury thermometer. Am I retarded yet? No.

Here's a quarter, go buy a real point of view.

Mokele

This study in no way contradicts or disputes the toxic metal connection to Autism. It you look you will find that toxic metal cause the effect they speak of.

Actually,

Heavy metal poisoning may be more common among autistics due to a severe metallothionein deficiency, but more evidence is needed to substantiate the idea that heavy metals cause autism. It is still being studied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_autism

Note that this relates to what you have recently said as well:

He receives chelating agents to draw the heavy metals form his body and supplements to replace what his damaged body is lacking.

Autistic children are more likely to get heavy metal poisoning because they seem to lack mtallothionein, which regulates metals in the body.

Oh, and, um:

Thimerosal was largely removed from all childhood vaccines in 2001.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9D01EED8173CF933A15754C0A9639C8B63

Thimerosal is the mercury-containing part of vaccines.