Pets V Slaves

Rebiu

A slave exists to do the things for you that you should be able to do for yourself but can't be bothered. The requirement is that you are happy. The quality of life of a slave is not high on your list of priorities.

A pet exists to give you a feeling of reward through caring for it. You do not generally expect a pet to do things for you that you do for yourself. The requirement here is that for you to be happy, your pet must be happy. The quality of life of your pet is very high on your list of priorities.

Cats are the exception to that rule. They don't have owners, they have staff.

Pets are essentially our slaves. As there were some benevolent slave owners, so there are some caring pet owners. A pet, as any other animal, has no legal right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". We keep pets for our own benefit and gratification, not for theirs. They have no choice, there is no benefit for them. We have the power of life and death over them

Why do we keep pets? To gratify selfish needs, the needs that some people can not satisfy in their normal social interactions with their own species. Pets are our unwilling prisoners, no matter how touchy-feely we may profess to be about them. It is self delusional and a denial of reality.

Which free-born animal would swap its normal environment for forced domestic captivity?

Pets are essentially our slaves. As there were some benevolent slave owners, so there are some caring pet owners. A pet, as any other animal, has no legal right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". We keep pets for our own benefit and gratification, not for theirs. They have no choice, there is no benefit for them. We have the power of life and death over them

If animals didn't struggle, day in day out, to survive, I'd agree with you...but they do. Even predatory animals are constantly fighting to find food, raise their young et.c There are plenty of benefits for an animal that has caring owners who are aware of it's needs, and give it attention and the affection it deserves. Obviously it depends on the animal, there are certain animals I think it's plain wrong to keep as pets...animals that have not been bred for domestication, and animals that require a lot of freedom e.g birds.

Why do we keep pets? To gratify selfish needs, the needs that some people can not satisfy in their normal social interactions with their own species. Pets are our unwilling prisoners, no matter how touchy-feely we may profess to be about them.

Sounds kinky.

They maybe unwilling prisoners in certain circumstances, but again it depends on the animal...I really don't think a few fish in a pond, would care either way.

It is self delusional and a denial of reality.

I think you're being a little over dramatic, I think the animals that make popular pets, have been bred specifically for being domesticated...so that is the environment that will suit them.

Which free-born animal would swap its normal environment for forced domestic captivity?

Again it depends which animal...I think freedom of space for certain animals is essential, i.e I don't agree with caged animals at zoo's, especially big cats et.c However domestic cats, come and go as they please, and always know there is food waiting for them...I really can't see the problem with certain animals.

A slave exists to do the things for you that you should be able to do for yourself but can't be bothered. The requirement is that you are happy. The quality of life of a slave is not high on your list of priorities.

A pet exists to give you a feeling of reward through caring for it. You do not generally expect a pet to do things for you that you do for yourself. The requirement here is that for you to be happy, your pet must be happy. The quality of life of your pet is very high on your list of priorities.

Cats are the exception to that rule. They don't have owners, they have staff.

That is a clear consise sentiment, well articulated

What about working animals? Does a sheep dog count as a pet?
I don't think so. In my experience (of working dogs in Wales), the owners of working dogs (sheep dogs & gun dogs) generally do not consider them pets, although many of these dogs occupy that role within the owner's family (i.e. with the kids).

The owners consider them something between a tool and a partner. There is genuine affection between the working dog and its owner and usually a great deal more respect than between a 'pet' and its owner. There's also a lot less sentimentality and anthropomorphism.

The working dog's quality of life is extremely high on the owner's list of priorities, and I think in general, the owners of working dogs probably hold a much clearer view of what constitutes a good quality of life for a dog. I have never seen an obese sheep dog stuffed with freshly cooked chicken kiev, wearing a stupid raincoat and cute little wellies, wheezing and waddling along behind its owner, with a dull, blank expression and showing no real interest in things around it.

Most of the working dogs I have seen have been healthy, well muscled and extremely fit. Everything about them is 'up'; ears, tail, eyes, general carriage and they're into absolutely everything (unless they're actually working).

I think the thing that differentiates working dogs from slaves is that the dogs (as far as one can tell) genuinely like doing what they do. They look forward to doing it (e.g. showing signs of excitement when the owner grabs his coat/gun) and show signs of huge enjoyment whilst doing it; ears pricked, alert, tail wagging all the signs you'd expect from a happy dog.

Why do we keep pets? To gratify selfish needs, the needs that some people can not satisfy in their normal social interactions with their own species.
This is not true. Most pet owners are quite capable of normal and healthy social interaction and are able to form healthy and meaningful relationships with other members of their own species. Pets provide something 'other'.
Pets are our unwilling prisoners, no matter how touchy-feely we may profess to be about them. It is self delusional and a denial of reality.
This is not true either. Domesticated animals are not unwilling prisoners. If this were true, they would make a break for 'freedom' at any and all opportunities. They would have to be penned and caged at all times. Instead, they return to their owners freely and of their own volition.

I have an open flap in my kitchen door. Every day my cat goes out through it. If he was my 'unwilling prisoner' I would not find him asleep on my bed every time I come home from work. Cats, of all domesticated animals, are perhaps the least dependent on their owners. If they are abused or unhappy or neglected, they leave.

Any that could make the abstract and prospective comparison between their current situation, i.e. The constant battles for territory/mates, the constant hunger, the constant threat of predation (for non-predators), the persistant irritation from untcontrolled parasites, untreated illnesses and injuries, and the possible situation of; the reliable provision of food, water, shelter, warmth, contact comfort, freedom from parasitic infestation, treatment of illness and injuries and a regularly scratched belly.

However, there are, as yet, no animals that are capable of making such abstract comparisons (bar one).

Wow you sound like some PETA guy.

You do realised how hard animals have it in the wild? You do realises it's not Disney fantasy world where they hold hands and dance around in circles?

When an animal is in the wild it is generally in a constant strugle to survive. While a pet is garunteed shelter, food, and companionship. No mater how stupidly it acts.

Why do you think bears that are fed by people generally become dependant and try to move into human civilization. Because it's a hell of a lot more dependable than relying on nature to provide it.

Wow you sound like some PETA guy.

You do realised how hard animals have it in the wild? You do realises it's not Disney fantasy world where they hold hands and dance around in circles?

When an animal is in the wild it is generally in a constant strugle to survive. While a pet is garunteed shelter, food, and companionship. No mater how stupidly it acts.

Why do you think bears that are fed by people generally become dependant and try to move into human civilization. Because it's a hell of a lot more dependable than relying on nature to provide it.

Most animals are more suited in the wild, whether or not we find that difficult or not is irrelevant. My lifestyle may seem chaotic to you, but to me it's how I do things. Domesticated animals are just the few selected that are behaviourally tamed in comparsion, and then breed. For a domesticated animals to live in the wild, now that might be hell, because they are not well equipped.

Some with many anxieties can find what we consider civil, relax and normal very stressing with the contrast. They would function better in a chaotic enviroment, or atleast have justifcation for the anxiety, which helps alot.

While all of that is true (if overly sarcastic), it does not negate the validity of his argument - "Which free-born animal would swap its normal environment for forced domestic captivity?"

Frankly, none.

All wild animals will attempt to escape captivity. It is true, they become dependent on the food, but that does not mean they would willingly accept forced captivity.

If anyone is a slave in the owner/pet relationship, I think it generally ends up being the owner. At least, my cat leads me around and gets me to do her bidding, or comes to me demanding attention and won't leave me alone until I give it to her, and so on.

Actually, if they are abused or unhappy or neglected, they piss on your bed.
Heh :) Mine wouldn't. He sleeps there. He might take a dump in my boots though.

If anyone is a slave in the owner/pet relationship, I think it generally ends up being the owner. At least, my cat leads me around and gets me to do her bidding, or comes to me demanding attention and won't leave me alone until I give it to her, and so on.
Yeah, see? Staff!

Aye, my lovebird is a tyrant. He has free access around the house, so he has his chosen ceiling fans that he sleeps on and cannot ever be turned on anymore, he has a very distinct "turn on the goddamned faucet" chirp... and food... he'll attack MY fork to defend his claim over MY plate and if I get in his way he'll fly up to my shoulder, shriek angrily, bite my face, then fly back for the food. And if you leave him alone in a room he'll go insane like some abadnoned toddler, no matter than he can fly anywhere in the house and back in the time it takes me to walk out of a friggin' room...

As odd as this may sound, my eldest snail, Sonic seems to sulk if I don't handle it. It seems rather nonplussed by the younger snails activity, but really perks up if I pick it up and let it suck the natural salts from my nose...I have to scrub my face thoroughly after this (risk of salmonella.)

Unfortunately poor Sonic, who was never interested in mating in the 5 years I've owned it, was subjected to a gang bang the other day...4 snails tried to mate with it, and had the residue of the little ecstacy darts they fire from the side of their head, all over it...for four days it just sat there with it's antenna retracted, as though it was doped up, it's far too old for that kind of activity.

I can't find the obvious answer anywhere: Pets taste better.

Seriously, though, the difference between a pet and a slave would first have to rely on the difference between an animal and a human. I am certain that humans have a desire for freedom, and that they understand their enslavement - I kinda doubt there will be a revolution of goldfish soon ...

on a somewhat related note:

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day number 180

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!

9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!

10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!

11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!

4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!

5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 182

1:30 pm - ooooooo. bath. bummer.

'

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer". More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured.

But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...