New Philosophy/Religion Forums

blike

CapRef, many of the most interesting aspects of religion

(social, political, mores about marriage and the family, religion-and-science issues....) are not subject to rational resolution

We discuss many non-science issues here as well. Many of our members would not be here without the Politics section, and that's not strictly a science. We could loosen up the definition of theology to fit our purposes as well ;)

Of course, a poll would be a good idea. If anybody has any other good name ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Martin, I'm not ready to poll or narrow it down to just two choices yet, I'd rather just talk it out a little bit with everyone first.

What about picking a word or phrase that has nothing to do with theology or philosophy directly--like one martin suggested? Something catchy--doesn't even have to be a "real" word. One of my friends suggested "thememepool.com" or "memetank.com" (see: meme). I rather like the latter.

I was going to say religionforums.net However that seems to be taken-up by an inactive site....

Otherwise I'm all for theologyforums.net

It's not perfect but I think it's the best solution you'll arrive at. Mirrors this site nicely. and even though it doesn't imply all aspects of religion and philosophy I'm sure no on the site will notice and they'll talk about it anyways :)

you want an alternative to consider? take a poll or something?

ultimateconcerns.net

the chairman of the religion department at my undergrad Liberal Arts college did not like the term "theology"

he thought religion should be taught as part of the liberal arts curriculum' date=' indeed as a kind of central focus that puts other parts together

religion for him did not necessarily involve a "God" idea but was an expression of ultimate concern

a person's religion was how he thought and acted regarding what was of ultimate concern.

in a sense, your religion is your ultimate concerns[/quote']

Holy crap, that's f*cking awesome!

What about picking a word or phrase that has nothing to do with theology or philosophy directly--like one martin suggested? Something catchy--doesn't even have to be a "real" word. One of my friends suggested "thememepool.com" or "memetank.com" (see: meme). I rather like the latter.

Even as SFN's self-declared #1 meme freak, I don't like either of those choices. Memepool is one of the Internet's oldest blogs, and one I read for years before I switched to using an RSS aggregator to read daily content and, unfortunately, Memepool's attempt at entering the RSS age broke at some point in the past and they never bothered to fix it. Still, I consider it one of the big names in my Internet upbringing, along with other awesome proto-blogs like Suck.

As for Memetank, it just doesn't work. Memepool is, indeed, an awesome name, because it's a play on gene pool. Memetank, well, not so much.

So, I wholeheartedly voice my support for Martin's suggestion!

The name of the new forums should reflect what they are about. A name like "ultimateconcerns.net" does not seem very useful to me.

Why not take the name "www.religionsforums.net"? This name still is available, and it empasizes on the fact that it is about religions and not about a single religion, or a specific type of religion. This emphasis on religions instead of religion might be advertised also.

i guess it's unavoidable that evidence wont be possible for purely theological (ie, does god exist) questions.

Absolutely, my only concern was that 'evidence' covered all discussion, which obviously just isn't applicable to certain topics. I think there should be room for personal opinion, providing it's within the forum policy (whatever that would be) so I guess it shouldn't be fallicous, dogmatic, preachy et.c

Just a thought, but if there is going to be a philosophy forum on SFN, maybe specific sub-forums, to stop people swaying into topics of God et.c...the usual thing, when people start mentioning 'cause' et.c

So 'off the top of my head' ...Logicism and Mathematical Philosophy, Epistemology, and perhaps Empiricism, and Reductionism. This will keep the discussion within these realms, and maybe prompt people to dust off their philosophy books and discuss proper philosophy. Admittedly, my knowledge in the subjects is pretty poor...just read bits and pieces, but it could prompt more informed debate, rather than some of the tired arguments that kept on cropping up in the original P&R forums.

For the theology forum / memetank...perhaps Meta-Ethics, Moral Relativism and Objectivism, and a discussion forum on your favourite philosophers e.g Hume, Kant, Descartes...discussion around ideas and quotes et.c As well as 'of course' religious / theology discussion, and maybe religion in politics et.c

Just an idea anyway.

Why not take the name "www.religionsforums.net"? This name still is available, and it empasizes on the fact that it is about religions and not about a single religion, or a specific type of religion. This emphasis on religions instead of religion might be advertised also.

you have at least one buyer, woelen. I like the idea. I like the plural and the use of the word "religion"----which has a richer meaning (includes the experience of religion, the social aspect of it, the practice, not merely the associated logic)

does it matter whether it is forum or forums?

religionsforum.net

religionsforums.net

if religionsforum.net is available then I would slightly prefer because it has the suggestion of a SINGLE forum where MANY religion ideas can be brought together------it has a faint suggestion of bringing together into

give-and-take discussion

I, too, like Woelen's idea, especially with Martin's correction. Whois.net tells that religionsforum.net is available:

Domain Name religionsforum.net is available!

Please click here to register it.

Additionally, the following domains are available:

religionsforum.ORG

religionsforum.INFO

religionsforum.BIZ

religionsforum.US

Exactly. The name needs to be something people can remember and thats vastly different than the others. Religionsforum would undoubtedly have people trying to come back but ending up at religionforum.

how about: MetaThoughtsForum.net

you want an alternative to consider? take a poll or something?

ultimateconcerns.net

the chairman of the religion department at my undergrad Liberal Arts college did not like the term "theology"

he thought religion should be taught as part of the liberal arts curriculum' date=' indeed as a kind of central focus that puts other parts together

religion for him did not necessarily involve a "God" idea but was an expression of ultimate concern

a person's religion was how he thought and acted regarding what was of ultimate concern.

in a sense, your religion is your ultimate concerns[/quote']

Holy crap, that's f*cking awesome!

...wholeheartedly voice my support...!

Thanks bascule! Maybe that keeps the name in the running. If we eventually do an advisory poll, "ultimateconcerns.net" could be included.

this guy Clyde Holbrook (1912-1989) was head of the School of Religion at XYZ College. He was intense and inspiring. he taught the required Religion course. In those days there was a serious required religion course--just like you had to take at least one Laboratory Science course and pass a language exam. Maybe it is still that way.

I understand that Holbrook's students or people following his ideas somehow became influential in setting up the department of Religion at Stanford. It is a very interesting department. I know someone who teaches there. her specialty was in Aztec and Mayan religion IIRC. but she undoubtably has solid expertise in the Abrahamic religions as well.

maybe I will dig up some Clyde Holbrook writing on the web.

I liked Holbrook. I'd say that he was an intensely religious man himself, but had a very inclusive definition of religion

(a person's religion was the expression of their ultimate concerns)

how about: MetaThoughtsForum.net

I like the sound of that one YT. Out of the ones I've seen so far, I'd go for that name.

The entire idea seems good to me, except the shared userbase. I would prefer to copy all current users with their passwords to the new religion forums, so all currently registered SFN users can login at that site as well. But once the split is made, newcomers who register here are not members at the religion forums and vice versa. If someone really is interested in discussing both science and religion, then they will take the effort to register twice.

I too share Woelen's concerns, and I think his idea is a good one. Perhaps once a new member registers on the other site, they could similiarly be offered the option of registering here?

Whatever the decision for the name of the website, I think that it is important to take a decision soon. Many people are waiting for the site.

I would suggest, take one of the two names you already have, setup the forum and then one can always think about a final name, but to my opinion it is not good to wait for another x-weeks before all has been decided and set up.

We have N people, and we have O(N) opinions on the name :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...