Would people make great pets?

Rebiu

If a nonhuman intelligence were to domesticate people would they make good pets?

It seems that less intelligent animals fish dogs and cats make much better pets than more intelligent animals like parrots and monkeys. It seems that more intelligent animals have more elaborate needs and capacity for trouble.

"Domestication" also might have a scientific, genetic basis. There were experiments conducted on rats and foxes wherein they were selected for breeding based solely on amicability. Within 60 generations both populations were not only completely docile and friendly, but underwent completely unexpected physical changes, as well. Their fur became spotted, their tails curved, and, most surprising of all, they became smarter.

There have been suggestions that humans are a "domesticated" form of great ape, the domestication in question arising in a self-feeding loop together with civilization.

"Domestication" also might have a scientific, genetic basis. There were experiments conducted on rats and foxes wherein they were selected for breeding based solely on amicability. Within 60 generations both populations were not only completely docile and friendly, but underwent completely unexpected physical changes, as well. Their fur became spotted, their tails curved, and, most surprising of all, they became smarter.

could traits such as spotted fur have been a coincidence. For example, the most amicable fox happened to have spotted fur, so this trait wound up getting selected for by coinidence. There doesn't necesarily have a to be a correlation between domestication and spotted fur.

could traits such as spotted fur have been a coincidence. For example, the most amicable fox happened to have spotted fur, so this trait wound up getting selected for by coinidence. There doesn't necesarily have a to be a correlation between domestication and spotted fur.

Going by what Sisyphus said, rats underwent the change as well, do you have any more info on this, that would be interesting if there is a direct link to the two traits...I'm can't see how though.

The animals becoming smarter (alone) obviously makes perfect sense.

With the OP, it depends on the situation...if I willingly chose to be a pet of some higher intelligence, knowing I could pretty much do as I please, and come in at dinner time to get fed, then sit on the aliens lap while I snoozed...(like a cat obviously) doesn't sound all that bad IMO.

I realise it`s somewhat off topic, and Maybe worth another thread, But If such profound changes took place, could that maybe skew results in Lad tests were Lab Rats and domesticated animals are used, or is it entirely a "Cosmetic" alteration ?

might They differer geneticly beyond looks also, and thus might WE if we were to be so bred/domesticated?

just a thought and a little fuel to the fire (it`s an interesting question).

Sure we coukd. I think if a superior species came around in a few generations they could have whipped all the "fight" out of us and eventually the newborn people will grow up only knowing their masters and not know anything else. Get rid of the "old rebellious bunch" (us, our kids, their kids) and start the next generation off as pets and bam. there you go.

I realise it`s somewhat off topic, and Maybe worth another thread, But If such profound changes took place, could that maybe skew results in Lad tests were Lab Rats and domesticated animals are used, or is it entirely a "Cosmetic" alteration ?

might They differer geneticly beyond looks also, and thus might WE if we were to be so bred/domesticated?

just a thought and a little fuel to the fire (it`s an interesting question).

Maybe, but ordinary lab rats aren't domesticated. Of course, if it turns out there is a common "domestication" process among mammals, then it's entirely possible that we humans ARE domesticated, at least partially. The beginning of civilization might have had a similar effect of selecting for amicability among humans, and so we might have actually "domesticated" ourselves.

If a nonhuman intelligence were to domesticate people would they make good pets?

It seems that less intelligent animals fish dogs and cats make much better pets than more intelligent animals like parrots and monkeys. It seems that more intelligent animals have more elaborate needs and capacity for trouble.

Why does it need to be a non-human intelligence? I bet I could domesticate someone, if you believe Jeff Foxworthy humans are easy to train, especialy men.

Yes sister I'll do your laundry.

Wait a second. . .. .. . .

Sure we coukd. I think if a superior species came around in a few generations they could have whipped all the "fight" out of us and eventually the newborn people will grow up only knowing their masters and not know anything else. Get rid of the "old rebellious bunch" (us, our kids, their kids) and start the next generation off as pets and bam. there you go.
Perhaps selective aggression would be desired by the owners. Terriers were bred to be very aggressive towards small animals but not people. Consider that different personalities prefer different kinds of dogs. Some dogs are aloof, obedient, playful, calm, protective, and energetic and there are people that prefer every kind.