New Exact Solution of Einstein's Gravitational Field Equation

Atellus

I have been continuing my reading around the subject area of relativity and have come across the following:

http://www.physorg.com/news10789.html

The article describes how Dr. Franklin Felber has come up with a solution to the Gravitational Field Equation that accounts for the gravitational effects of masses moving at speeds close to that of light, which has been presented to the Space Technology and Applications International Forum in Albuquerque. This solution is touted as a likely basis for a spacecraft capable of extremely high speeds.

I have been unable to locate a biography online. There is just this from the bottom of an article at http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/517997/

During his 30-year career, Dr. Felber has led physics research and development programs for the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, the Department of Energy and Department of Transportation, the National Institute of Justice, National Institutes of Health, and national laboratories. Dr. Felber is Vice President and Co-founder of Starmark.

I was wondering whether anyone would care to comment on the idea presented, or whether anyone with current knowledge of goings on in physics circles generally could assess any reactions to this paper by academia which were not expressed through the media?

And now to the heart of the matter:

I am writing a science fiction short story for a collection I'm building up for possible publication. This is part of the reason I've been reading around various technical subjects, because I would prefer, where ever possible, to base the technical components of the plot on existing research or at the very least, the more promising and realistic looking of the currently available theories. I would like to think that the reader would understand that they might be getting something out of the experience other than just an addition to their toilet paper collection. For plot purposes I've decided I need a method of propelling a spacecraft that is capable of approaching light speed. I like the idea of a spacecraft which must accelerate to a predefined fraction of light speed which generates a focused region of antigravity as it is more interesting than the usual "hyperdrive" fudge beloved of lazy writers and offers dramatic possibilities.

To this end, I have one or two further questions which I hope someone might help me with.

According to the article linked above, the spacecraft overcomes the problem of increasing inertia by travelling down the antigravity beam in a state of freefall. However, if the spacecraft were to then activate another form of propulsion and accelerate down the beam, would the mass of the spacecraft increase as it would under "normal"* conditions; would it be able to more closely approach the speed of light; would it be able to exceed the speed of light?

* where normal is the absence of an antigravity effect

And while I'm here, another question that just occured to me: there is a great deal of reading material available that talks about what is expected to happen to any object or traveller who attains light speed, but what might happen should the traveller be capable of achieving a speed twice or more that of light? Would the expected effects be the same, worse or non-existent?

I realise that I can't expect to understand the subject in sufficient detail to discuss it intelligently based on internet research and questions on forums. If anyone would like to offer any thoughts or comments, then thank you very much for your time.

For exact solutions you must consult

Stephani, H.; Kramer, D.; MacCallum, M.; Hoenselaers, C.; & Herlt, E. (2003). Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations (2nd edn.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-52-146136-7.

Bonnor, W. B.; Griffiths, J. B.; & MacCallum, M. A. H. (1994). "Physical interpretation of vacuum solutions of Einstein's equations. Part II. Time-dependent solutions". Gen. Rel. Grav. 26: 637-729.

Bonnor, W. B. (1992). "Physical interpretation of vacuum solutions of Einstein's equations. Part I. Time-independent solutions". Gen. Rel. Grav. 24: 551-573. A wise review, first of two parts.

I have used all three references in the past. (I did have paper copies of the last two, I will see if I can find them).

The papers by Felber can be found here

http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?rawcmd=a+Felber,+F+S