What is a Furry?

Cyberman

One of my numerous hobbies is reaserching werewolf folklore on the internet, and in books. Lately whenever I find what I think is a reliable website I find references to something called a "Furry."

At first I was puzzled by this and did some reasearch on wikipedia and found a section about "Animal Transformation Fantasy". What I seem to be finding is that a Furry is someone who participates in reading, writing, and other wise accesing media such as television shows, and comic books whose primary commonality is that the plot revolves around charactors that share physical qualities with humans and animals.

I was immediatly reminded of a particular episode of CSI called "Fur and Loathing" wich faetured a group known as "Plushies" that would dress up in plush outfits resembling animals and engage in very disturbing sexualy oriented rituals that involved biting and clawing.

From what I've read the bulk of these people called"Furries" don't seem to belong to this bizzare subgroup, but all in all I have to wonder. . . . . .

Psycologicaly speaking, why would a Human fantisize about being an animal for any reason? My understanding was that generaly humans fantisize as a sort of wish fulfilment. What is it that seems so aluring about a non human form?

Psycologicaly speaking, why would a Human fantisize about being an animal for any reason? My understanding was that generaly humans fantisize as a sort of wish fulfilment. What is it that seems so aluring about a non human form?

Who knows, maybe it rises from a disatisfaction with their appearance.

I don't know much about these "furies" but it seems likely that most people at some point try to imagine what it would be like to be something other than human. Maybe these guys just take it a little too seriously.

not sure about your closing question, but as to 'what is a furrie': as an anime fan, whenever i've heard it it's been describing manga/carton anthropormorphic animals, e.g. bugs bunny, espesially if there are sexual overtones to the charector, eg cat-girls, or sometimes the fans of these 'furries', again, espescially if there are sexual overtones.

furries (definition #2) make me laugh.

not sure about your closing question, but as to 'what is a furrie':

Right I should have said "Whats with Furries?"

as an anime fan' date=' whenever i've heard it it's been describing manga/carton anthropormorphic animals, e.g. bugs bunny, espesially if there are sexual overtones to the charector, eg cat-girls, or sometimes the fans of these 'furries', again, espescially if there are sexual overtones.

furries (definition #2) make me laugh.[/quote']

Bugs Bunny? I didn't know the genre was that wide spanning.

I'll see if there is a list of media on Wikipedia . . .

Yep there is, it lists, Lion King, Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, Water Ship Down, Roger Rabbit, Mickey Mouse, Angery Bevers . . . . . These are all suprisingly common things.

Furries are an Internet subculture which has been finding whatever outlets it can to manifest itself. Essentially it represents a fascination of primarily the generation who grew up in the mid to late '80s who became overly obsessed with anthropomorphic animals (with sexual overtones) from a number of different sources, primarily the television show Thundercats and the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit, both of which they were exposed to in early childhood, but also any number of sources (heavily compounded over history) including but not limited to: Sonic the Hedgehog, Bucky O'Hare, Looney Tunes, Disney characters (both feautred in WFRR?), Battletoads, and countless other series. After a generation of innundation, a number of individuals, particular those with other sexual problems including gender identity, and especially those who exposed themselves to the drug/rave/burner culture, became increasingly fascinated with what can only be described as anthropomorphic beastiality. A similar sort of subculture has developed in Japan, which is just a cesspool of sexual confusion/exploration/bizarre and creepy fetishism, which has begun feeding the community in the US (and I assume other countries) with very creepy images and video material, including anime series and hentai.

Yes, furries are an odd fascination of mine, namely because as an experienced cybernaut always in search of the latest trend (ZEFRANK! so trendy he's almost passe) I've encountered them in many spots I frequented in search of the elusive memes which hadn't yet entered the public spectacle. I found massive furry populations in many of these spots, including Polykarbon, DeviantArt, (I used to be one of those kids that got all obsessed with anime and started drawing it), 4chan, and now the massively multiplayer 3D Wiki, Second Life.

Mostly, I harass furries (at least in Second Life). I don't really know why. They kind of piss me off. Mostly because they're fine with doing something as sexually bizarre as, uhh, anthropomorphic beastiality (Hey, it's not illegal, it's just people in costume!) they can be such prudes about anything else. And frankly I find whatever form of, uhh, species identity disorder they seem to have extremely disturbing.

What is it that seems so aluring about a non human form?

I don't know who said this but:

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I think it's mostly to do with getting in touch with the primative animal-like nature of humans, and to be ok with it....in a very wierd way.

I think it's mostly to do with getting in touch with the primative animal-like nature of humans, and to be ok with it....in a very wierd way.

There are ways to do that that DON"T involve dressing up in goofy plush outfits.

I remembered something from AP Biology today. There was an experiment involving animal psychology a few years ago. Birds when born see their mother and are impressed with her image with the rest of their lives. They know that when they reach maturity thay are supposed to mate with other birds of their species, because they look like their mother.

Birds that are exposed to humans when first born tried their courting rituals on humans rather than other birds.

Bascule pointed out that these Furries grew up during a time when television shows involving anthropomophic animals was common. If humans are impressed the same way birds are than its possible that subconciously a person exposed to those anthropomophic animals cartoons at a young age has multiple impressions of what they think a "Human" looks like. This resulting from the cartoons charactors looking partly like humans and the fact that the charactors act and talk like humans.

Then when the kids hit puberty they get turned on by a picture of Lola Bunny from the Loony tunes and they have no idea why.:confused:

Lolahp2.jpg

Mostly' date=' I harass furries (at least in Second Life). I don't really know why. They kind of piss me off. Mostly because they're fine with doing something as sexually bizarre as, uhh, anthropomorphic beastiality (Hey, it's not illegal, it's just people in costume!) they can be such prudes about anything else. And frankly I find whatever form of, uhh, species identity disorder they seem to have extremely disturbing.[/quote']

;):D

Careful where you go with that line of thought, persecution of misunderstood minorities doing funny things to each other in private. Before you know it, you will be harassing h*m*s*x*u*l* and you will be in real trouble!

There are ways to do that without dressing up in goofy plush out fits.

I guess they don't find them goofy lol, what can I say, I don't see the appeal, but apparently they do. Everyone has their fetishes.

There are FAR worse.

Well some might believe they were an animal in a past life?

It's hard to say what drives a certain group because then you begin generalizing.

You'll find everyone has a different motivation for everything they do. You ask a successful CEO why he's so successful. He might say he was driven by his parents, his co-workers, the money, the power, etc. Not one thing. Humans are not simple creatures and shouldn't be analyzed as such.

Mostly, I harass furries (at least in Second Life). I don't really know why. They kind of piss me off.

Someone on a webcomic I read once said that people pick on furries for precisely the same reason they throw rocks at a beehive.

I've had experience with members of the furry fandom, and there's a range, from normal folks who just like cartoon animals, to those who like them too much, to stuff that's so ****ed up I shudder in horror at the mere memory (seriously, yiff and fursuiting is *normal* compared to some of the widespread kinks in furry fandom).

Mokele

That would mean everyone I know who has ever enjoyed watching Loony Tunes is a Furry?

Don't be to surprised Doctor, look at this list off Wikipedia.

From cartoons

Roger Rabbit, The Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Wile E. Coyote

From animated feature films

Disney's Robin Hood and The Lion King, My Neighbor Totoro, The Secret of NIMH, Bagi, Madagascar

From TV

Father of the Pride, Kimba the White Lion, Disney's Rescue Rangers, SWAT Kats, Rex the Runt

From comics

Usagi Yojimbo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Omaha the Cat Dancer, Shanda The Panda, Albedo Anthropomorphics, Maus

From novels

Richard Adams' Watership Down, Andre Norton's Breed to Come, Brian Jacques' Redwall series, Steven Boyett's The Architect of Sleep, S. Andrew Swann's Moreau series

From games

RuneQuest, Lugaru, EverQuest, the Star Fox series, Sonic the Hedgehog series, Jazz Jackrabbit series, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Furcadia

From webcomics

Newshounds, Boomer Express, The Suburban Jungle, Kevin and Kell, Faux Pas, Namir Deiter, Sabrina Online, Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures, VG Cats

Many of these should seem very familiar to most people here.

That would mean everyone I know who has ever enjoyed watching Loony Tunes is a Furry?

only if they identify with the characters, can put themselves in the minds of the characters, and wish there were more half-animal characters.

most furries don't have half-animal fetishes (except for cat-girls). most just tend to be fans of the idea of mixing animal and human physical and mental characteristics. then the step beyond furries is yiffies, who fantasize about (and sometimes act out) sexual encounters with half-animals. and that can go farther into whatever fetishes you can find, with or without half-animals.

cat girls are awesome, but fetishes are weird... and sometimes creepy.

While some Furries claim that, the general trend is that you're a furry if you actively participate in the furry fandom and self-identify as such, kinda like how lotsa people like Harry Potter, but only the batshit-insane ones are part of the HP fandom.

Mokele

While some Furries claim that, the general trend is that you're a furry if you actively participate in the furry fandom and self-identify as such, kinda like how lotsa people like Harry Potter, but only the batshit-insane ones are part of the HP fandom. Mokele

Good, I can watch Duck Dodgers again without shuddering.

Duck_Dodgers_4.jpg

• 1 month later...

I heard that the furry psychology has to do with the supposition that cartoon characters, especially animal-like characters cannot be hurt by normal means, and that they and act freely on their desires with little real consequence.

Being a furry (and donning a costume) is a way a socially-repressed person can go out into the world (including, and often especially, sexually) protected. They can act out, and be acted upon, without getting hurt and without hurting others.

New info, apparently the Furrys are part of a larger genra called "Animal Transformation Fantasy". This includes Lycanthropy.

Not realy sure where the key difference is though. What would seperate the Furry's from Lycanthropes?

I would think it may be related to the motavation for the fantasy. What do you guys think?

Ok, I'm going to try and jump inot your head here.

You are interested in werewolves, and now you have learned about these furries and find the concept of their sexualy based fantasies disturbing. So you are trying to keep your interest in werewolves but are still worried about being associated with these furries whose fantasies are related but serve a sexual purpose as opposed to your interest in werewolves which I would assume has a different motavation.