Largest Prime Number Found!

apollo2011

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dread to think how long it took to confirm that number was prime.

I don't really see the point in it anyway to be honest, there's a lot of prime numbers about :P It's like finding pi to x trillion digits, completely pointless.

Its over two million digits larger than the previous not over two million digits, hence 6million digits and its a Mersenne Prime. And you get $10K for that, i did some research into Mersenne its intresting all about exponent, obviously Dave would not find it intresting lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Rasori said in post #15 :

Finding pi to the x trillonth digit is useless, you say?

Why?

My goal in life is to prove that pi does indeed end! :P I just have to remember how you get pi in the first place lol.

oh pi is irrational and does not end. that is provable, just like sqrt(2) does not end, and provably so. this is a lovely little proof, so I hope you don't mind if I indulge myself, it is a proof by contradiction

assume that sqrt2 is rational, then it can be represented by a fraction n/m: where n and m have no common factors (or we can just cancel them out)

sqrt2=n/m

now square both sides and move m over to the other side

2m^2 = n^2

now since the number on the left is even, the number on the right must be even also. we know that the square of an odd number is in itself an odd number, so this means that n must be even, and hence can be divided by two, or represented as 2 multiplied by an odd number, let us call this number k:

n=2k

and substitute:

2m^2 = (2k)^2 = 4k^2

now we have m^2=2k^2

which means than m must be even. however this cannot be the case, since we already pointed out that n and m have no common factor, because if they did, we could just cancel this factor out. but from this result we can see than n and m must be even (i.e. they have a common factor of 2). this is a contradiction, so the original premise that

sqrt2 = n/m must be false. and so sqrt2 is not a rational number QED.

• 3 months later...

I received a newsletter from Mresenne a few months ago that stated:

On November 17th GIMPS member Michael Shafer at Michigan State

University proved 2^20996011-1 prime. At over 6.3 million digits it is

easily the largest known prime number, beating GIMPS' 2 year old

record of just over 4 million digits.