Netgear Router problem

TimbaLanD

Guys, I have a netgear router which has been working fine for the last 8 months and all of a sudden, the landline went dead. We called in the engineer and he disconnected the router and the lines are back to normal.

I don’t understand why the lines are going dead when I connect the router. I first though it was the micro filter but I have tried it with a new filter and it’s the same problem.

Can anyone help?

So, let me get this straight? When you plug your router (the netgear device) into your DSL modem using a cat-5 or cat-5e type network cable, your landline, which carries your phone and internet service, dies? What do you mean by "went dead"? Did you hear static on the line, or something? Did you have any sort of dial tone?

I assume you use a DSL modem and a netgear router and some computers.

Ensure the following:

Every phone or fax machine in the house should have a dsl filter installed between the phone/fax and the outlet

The phone wire connecting the DSL modem (not the router, the modem ...unless they are one and the same) should connect to the wall jack WITHOUT a filter installed.

Now, if all that is definately not your problem, you may want to consider running two cables through a surge protector - the rj-45 (ethernet computer cable) connecting your router and your modem and the phone wire (rj-11 or whatever) connecting your modem to your phone jack.

Guys, I have a netgear router

That's your first problem. :rolleyes:

It would help to know if your DSL modem and you router are the same device, or they are seperate devices.

Have you had any lightning strikes or power surges around the time your problem started?

It would also be a good idea to have both pair (red/green, yellow/black) checked for shorts.

Makes sure your phone lines haven't been damaged somewhere.

Can you still get online when the landline is "dead"?

Very often the modem is integrated into the router. So you plug your phone line into the router box and a cable between the router box and your NIC (network interface card) in your computer. The router is acting as a modem and a router.

As mentioned above, microfilters on ALL sockets.

Even the router is faulty it seems peculiar that it would "kill" the phone line.

What's the latest news?

Guys, I have found out the problem!! This happened at my cousin’s house and he has couple of little ones. They have taken the cable that runs from the filter to router and plugged it in to one of the output ports on the router!! The phone like goes “dead” when this happens. Anyway, now I have plugged the cable in the right port and all is well. I know it’s such a silly mistake. I didn’t even bother checking if the wires were connected properly!!! Shame on me!!!