Death of Steve Irwin

Karnage

Children actually... and to think, the little boy up till now thought that being named Bob was his biggest problem...

I'm still reeling from the shock of this whole thing. I can't say I'm surprised though, the man was overdue for something to happen to him, but I was expecting some more blatantly fearsome creature, not just a stingray.

Actually the reporst seem to indicate that he wasn't really doing anything terribly risky when it happened.

Seems he was just snorkelling in shallow water, and happened to pass over a stingray which stabbed him in the heart with its barb. It could have happened to almost anyone on vacation.

A bit ironic in a way. I was sure he would have died doing some really stupid, this was just a fluke. But in a way it demonstrates the mans skill, to be taken down only by something that he couldn't have planned for! One in a million.

This morning, at 11am Australian time, things finally came unglued for the 44-year-old as he was shooting a documentary segment on stingrays. Snorkeling on Batt Reef , a stretch of the Great Barrier Reef about 15km from Port Douglas in North Queensland, Irwin happened to swim over a large ray which, startled, whipped its barbed tail upwards into his chest. He died instantly. Veteran marine wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, who has spent hundreds of hours filming on Batt Reef, says Irwin had come too close to a bull ray. Citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, Cropp says Irwin had accidently boxed the animal in, causing it to attack. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," says Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." Says Cropp: "It's a one-in-a-million thing. I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."

More at Time.com....

Maybe , however he tweaked the dragons tail once too often . See Louis Slotin was a scientist who worked on the Manhattan Project. In 1946, he performed a risky experiment, called "tickling the dragon's tail," in which two globes of plutonium were brought together until separated only by a screwdriver. In this instance, the globes touched and set off a nuclear chain reaction filling the room with harmful radiation. Slotin pushed the globes apart with his bare hands to stop the reaction. In doing so, he saved seven other co-workers in the room, as he subjected himself to a lethal dose of the radiation.

I checked wikipedia and then looked at it again 20 seconds later...in that time someone had vandalized it by adding a large photo of some guy's naked crotch to the top. :mad:

I always wondered how well he knew his trade and if he just made everything look stupidly dangerous while being in control, or if he was risking his life recklessly. Then there's the one in a million accident.

I always thought he was a little crazy but he seemed like a good guy and certianly had infectious enthusiasm. No doubt he'll be missed.

I always thought he was a little crazy but he seemed like a good guy and certianly had infectious enthusiasm. No doubt he'll be missed.

----------------------------------------

Nothing wrong with being a bit crazy.

Most of my best teachers had that kind of enthusiasm.

I have no doubt he would have made a kickass biology teacher. :)

Husmusen.