Graphic card problem

LazerFazer

Hello all. Here's the issue. Recently i moved to south africa and took my computer with me. When i opened it up, i found the motherboard and graphic card were at the bottom of the case. So i rebuilt the system and when i started it up lo and behold, the monitor turned off. So, i restarted into safe mode. Now the monitor remained on, but only displays 4 bit colour. Any solutions? Cheers

lazerfazer

Cheers for that. What program do you recommend for me to use? Here's another bit of info. When i have the drivers installed, the monitor looses signal when windows boots normally. Without drivers, i can start windows normally, but i can only set the resolution to 800x600 @4-bit colour. Also, it makes no difference whether i connect extra power to the card or not.

Cheers

lazerfazer

Cheers for that. What program do you recommend for me to use? Here's another bit of info. When i have the drivers installed' date=' the monitor looses signal when windows boots normally. Without drivers, i can start windows normally, but i can only set the resolution to 800x600 @4-bit colour. Also, it makes no difference whether i connect extra power to the card or not.

Cheers

lazerfazer[/quote']Sounds like damaged hardware.

The graphics card could be damaged from the fall... it actually takes a lot of work to remove a graphics card. There is a lock mechanism holding it in place which you need to push down and whilst holding it down you need to pull it out, it doesn't just slide. Or at least that's how standard AGP graphics cards work.

Also hard drives can be damaged by bumpy rides, it is possible a small area has become corrupt, although I would think having an issue with the graphics card, the graphics card port, the motherboard or the screen itself are more likely.

Also there's potentially a power difference. In the UK the mains supply 240V whereas in other countries it is 110V. My PSU (power supply unit) has two settings on the back, one for 240V and one for 110V. I don't know the mains voltage in South Africa and I don't know where you moved from, but take this into consideration also.