Extremely Strange Dream

herme3

Nvm, found it. Domhoff does make interesting points. Now, im only 15, and I dont always have the opportunity to stay abreast of all research, but I think that Freudian dream theory should not be thrown away completely.

Dumhoff says that there are dreams that fulfill desires. It does not say that it is merely nueral static. Dreams have been proven to be coherent extensions to waking thought. I thought that it was a good point when he said that, just as waking thought, dream content is sometimes fulfilling a wish, sometimes not. That, I believe, is why Freudian method should not be thrown away.

So, I suppose that I largely stand corrected. I guess I should read a Dumhoff book sometime.

It does not say that it is merely nueral static. Dreams have been proven to be coherent extensions to waking thought

when, you can explain how a fish in a tuxedo, smoking a cigar and playing backgammon with a bird standing on its head is in anyway coherent never mind and extension of waking thought then i might start believing it.

and if you can do that my view of that dream changes from 'meh, that was random' to 'ODG what the hell was i thinking to bring that up.'

Dreams are case sensitive, so it could to someone who was not the dreamer make no sense while to the dreamer be sensible in some way. I'm just rethinking some of Freudian theory, I dont see evidence that says that they are incoherent.

Perhaps that is why so many believe in the symbolic aspect of dreams

Gutz: whats so wierd about dreams like that? and they don't really have to have a reason. just the mind freewheeling.

I guess they are different from my normal dreams. I know dreams don't have to have a reason, but compartively these ones are quite abnormal and weird. One is just plain random, the other goes from a horror to a comedy theme...

Well, I never said it was only neural static, but agreed. Freud hasn't been completely thrown out. There is a sort of resentment among psychologists towards, not necessarily Freud, but how a lot of people think psychology is Freud laying people on couches, interpreting dreams, and discovering repressed memories that have been silently bugging victims of psychopathologies (resentment isn't the proper word; it's a sort of passive meme).

Even the Skeptic's Dictionary has an article about him, http://skepdic.com/psychoan.html

Just purely supposition, but from my recent attempts at invoking lucid dreams (and thus finding dream signs), a lot of "physical" signs in my dreams, though not on the surface, seem to resemble a lot of ordinary objects I've seen, mostly recently (relative to the dream). Discovering what these are is actually pretty fun because you come to a sort of eiry realization, "those cloths I gave to the convict is actually the pile of close in my room." I had a different dream where I took off my toboggan and put them in the pile of clothes. This pile of cloths though isn't usually apparent, not even after the dream; it seems disguised.

The problem with trying to make inferences about what exactly these dream signs "mean", on the other hand, is purely futile because it could be interpreted many different ways to mean many different things.

My first lucid dream came when I suddenly recognized the distortion of my pile of cloths, but I woke up. :( I was like (in a sluggish manner), "hey, these aren't supposed to be out here in the mall." (a couple seconds latter lingering on this first thought) "They should be in my room."

This may in a way be what Freud refers to as an unconscious disguised meaning. Though I see no reasons to suppose what he did. This is of course exactly what I was talking about earlier when I said memories get distorted and it "might have led Freud astray." So it's like two ways of looking at the same thing. Freud of course took the idea in his own direction.

Realizing what dreams are actually makes them seem less strange or complicated. I never really thought about dreams before, beyond what I had learned in books/school, mainly because of the way school is, I rarely have dreams (well if I think "hard enough" I can usually remember some not so vivid scenes. People always dream, of course. They can be of a sort of lesser quality though -- as you go through the night your dreams become longer and more intricate.)

I wonder if lucid dreams somehow disrupt the natural patterns of dreaming. This questions has been asked by psychologists but there's no real answer (see wikipedia). I would think probably not, but you never know, and it could have some other effects, possibly positive. I could see the frontal cortex becoming active in lucid dreams. Lucid dreams are suposidly very vivid (I wouldn't know...) and it may be because the cortex processes memories/cognitive functions a little better and stores your "experience" better then a normal dream.

Iv'e had plenty of lucid dreams. It seems like most dreams I can sort of take control, though that is probably only an illusion. It isn't really any more vivid, just more memorable. I think people confuse the two.

It seems like Freud is most correct in his least extremes. He mostly gets on the right path and then just goes too far with the idea which certainly plagues all humankind without careful attention. I think that Jung does that also. He has great ideas about the collective unconscious but I fear he goes too far with it sometimes. I think Freud became too hell bent on sexual repression because he did cocaine and that sort of makes you obsessive to a certain idea.

Aveedo1, did your class cover Jungian Theory (not just dreams) yet?

Just about a week ago i had this awesome dream experience and today i remembered this board. Hi folks. :)

I had lucid dreams before (being concious, controling the dream), but this was weird. I was inside an old dream, doing different things than the last time and it slowly merged into a lucid dream (pretty normal). It went on for a while. Then i began to gain full conciousness. It felt like waking, but i ended up inside the dream. I was fully aware of everything, because i could feel my other real body. I couldn't control the dream anymore but i had full control over myself and i could easily wake up, but i chose to stay and explore. Scents, sounds, textures, wind - i was overwhelmed by impressions. I touched objects, just to feel them, their texture, temperature, smelled their scents, fabric, plastic, wood... The wind wasn't just wind, there almost was no wind, but i felt every little air movement. On my face, on my hands... i took several deep breaths and tried to grasp as much impressions as possible, but then i woke up.

http://www.psychicguild.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=854