Contact Lenses

popjinx

well, the contact lenses are usually made from an organic polymer so it is a feasible scenario. i think it would have to be a very long exposure period without disturbing the contact lenses or blinking for it to take effect. the levels of the solvent in your eye necessary for this would probably be to the point where it causes a lot of pain.

unless your going to go swimming in petroleum ether i don't think it would have a noticable effect.

I was just wondering because a professor of mine told me that one of his lab students had to get her contacts surgically removed because they became fused to her eyes. To me this really didn't sound plausible, especially since she didn't splash any chemicals in her eyes.

Polyacrylamide is used widely in contact lenses, it has a fantastic capacity for Water absorbtion (when dry it will absord up to 400x it`s own mass in water!).

if her contacts were a little dry, they would indeed Stick to the membrane on the eye (A form of suction).

adequate Hydration over time should release it though.