Pack 4CDs into a DVD

Primarygun

you can name them whatever you want, but yes, those sound the most reasonable names ;)

Just, when you put the DVD later to install the game, and start from CD1, after the installation finishes the first CD, it asks you to put another, and USUALLY (I am almost certain it will ask you, I dont know about old games) it asks for an alternative location, in case it doesnt automatically find it in the drive; that's when you chose your next-in-line cd folder, and tell it to run from there.

~moo

That method may cause issues with copy protection mechanisms on the cds (that is, just because the data is there does not mean the installer will install the game - sometimes even burning the images to a new CD won't work, depending upon how you rip and how you burn the images). Personally, I would keep the images as they are, burn them to a dvd (or even leave them on your hard drive), and when you want to use them you can mount them as a virtual drive using software such as alchohol120 (which I have not used) or daemon tools (which I have used - it works quite well).

When I use my notebook to play civilization 4, I use this method rather than the actual store-bought dvd. Using the dvd-player increases power usage, by a small amount, and more importantly makes the dvd drive spin (annoying noise).

I would be careful downloading games like that. Make sure you have virus protection software installed, updated, and running while you install the game (even when you just put the disk in - a disk image from the internet can autoplay, and if it has a virus you can easily get the virus installed simply by popping the disk in.). This is assuming you have autoplay enabled and that you burn the ISOs onto individual CDs without modifying them.

• 1 month later...

Hey im new, this is my first post.

I use a program called CDspace5, I am yet to find a cd/dvd that it cant make and run an image of (it even does operating system disks). It is better than most ISO software which can take up to a day to make an image of where CDspace takes 2 hours at most (even on my slow 800mhz pc). An image can easily be made into a virtual drive and you can have 26 virtual drives altogether.

I just thought I would share that info with everyone since im bored and it is my first post.

Hey im new, this is my first post.

I use a program called CDspace5, I am yet to find a cd/dvd that it cant make and run an image of (it even does operating system disks). It is better than most ISO software which can take up to a day to make an image of where CDspace takes 2 hours at most (even on my slow 800mhz pc). An image can easily be made into a virtual drive and you can have 26 virtual drives altogether.

I just thought I would share that info with everyone since im bored and it is my first post.

I don't know what ISO software you use that takes a _day_ to make an ISO but Alcohol 120% takes about an hour to make a dvd ISO.

Im not talking about burning a cd or dvd, im talking about creating an ISO onto a hard drive. The time it takes to create an ISO varies from about 7 minutes to 2 hours and sometimes a day (yes i know that even sounds ridiculous to me now that you say it, possibly the disk had lots of errors).

If you have two disks that both contain 700mb of data and one of them is copy protected. It will take about 7 minuts to make an image of the un-protected disk and around 2 hours for the protected disk, even though they both contain the same amound of data.

Im no computer genius, i just joined the forums and i thought I would post something just to try this site out.

I added bold:

The time it takes to create an ISO varies from about 7 minutes to 2 hours and sometimes a day (yes i know that even sounds ridiculous to me now that you say it' date=' [b']possibly the disk had lots of errors[/b]).

If you have two disks that both contain 700mb of data and one of them is copy protected. It will take about 7 minuts to make an image of the un-protected disk and around 2 hours for the protected disk, even though they both contain the same amound of data.

Ah, that's the answer then.

When using CD cloning software specifically designed to bypass the copying protection systems there is a 'quick error skip' option that is required for some forms of protection.

Some protection systems kick up thousands of errors when you copy it (this is a consequence of the protection, not the purpose of it), and consequently a normal copy will take a very long time. This is why CD copying software was specifically designed to fast skip these meaningless errors.