Relationship between foetus and mother?

Daecon

Does anyone know what the proper terminology is for describing the relationship between the foetus and mother?

For instance, would it be symbiotic, parasitic, or something else?

Any why is (whichever word) used?

Err, Pregancy? Gravid? :D

As for Parasite, no.

1) Parasite can't be of the same species.

2) The foetus contributes to the reproductive sucess of the mother and father.

3) The foetus is part of the normal human reproductive cycle, indeed essential.

So in the biological sense, a foetus is not a parasite, people who describe it as such are basically twisting words for their own agenda.

Symbiosis, at a stretch this would fit, much better than parasite, which is just blatantly false.

I just don't know if symbiosis is between two memebrs of one species or if it has to be two seperate species.

Regards,

Husmusen

You should not address this relation in this regard. Theoricaly, the 2 beings -mother and foetus- are one and only until the birth, so they cannot "interact" together as two individuals do. It is biologicaly the same than a yeast budding from another yeast.

The best I could find to describe it would be "nourishing" for mother to foetus and "being nourished" for foetus towards mother. But it is not quite proper in scientific language, although appealing in common language.

I feel there should be more appropriate word, but I don't think it will be one of the one you suggested as they refer to 2 different individuals.

So, in correct terminology, what word should be used?

Is there a single word, or description of the process, other than "to be nourished"? That word can still be misinterpreted by people claiming that a parasite lives by taking nourishment from the host organism.

• 3 months later...