A Levels...

MulderMan

Just reviewing my choices for AS's next year, well month, but you know what I mean.

Was thinking of taking chemistry, physics, computing, and another one, maybe maths.

I dont really have an interest in maths (I know I should do!), but figured it may have its use for a level phys and chem, and science at the degree level. Can anyone provide some support for this?

Also, I would be greatful for some recomendations of reading material for the physics and chemistry a-levels. I know the basics of the sylebuses, but always like to be ahead!

Thanks!

I can only provide anecdotal evidence of this, but personally I found maths helps with physics and vice versa. The mathematics involved with Chemistry I found pretty easy, and if you're reasonable at maths you shouldnt have any problems. My advice would be to just make sure you have a good knowledge of all the units and what they mean.

As for reading material, I think the textbooks you will be provided should be quite sufficient. That is, unless you're very unlucky and happen to land yourself in an OCR A-level physics course. Without a shadow of a doubt they are the worst textbooks I have ever tried to study or revise with.

If you do happen to be this unlucky, I would recommend using other textbooks(even older ones, which I do have a preference for personally) and find chapters which cover the relevant areas of your syllabus. I did this for my revision this year.

The same could be said if you happen to find yourself on a course with similiarly useless textbooks.

• 2 weeks later...

My recollection of A level maths was that it was a significant step up from GCSE (my school only let people who got A or A* do it), but I did my A-levels 99-01 and I've heard that they have changed the syllabus since then.

Chemistry only needs pretty basic maths, stats was useful for biology. Going on to uni, A-level maths was definitely helpful as we had a five lecture course on calculus- those of us who had done maths didn't bother going and the others were so confused.

My own experiences are the same as Drug addict, the jump to A-level from GCSE is huge. Mathematics is not easy, but don't use that as a reason not to study it. A-level mathematics will help you get onto any degree sceme at university.

I agree in some respects. They've recently altered the A-level modules to make an easier transition from GCSE to A-level mathematics. That being said, I didn't find the transition particularly hard. Going from A-levels to University maths is a lot more of a challenge, in my opinion.

Anyway, putting the time and effort into learning how to do these sorts of problems can only really help your application, especially if you're going to do a science-oriented subject at university.

• 2 weeks later...