• You are an environmentalist and you grew up in the city
    • You are an environmentalist and you grew up in the country
    • You are an environmentalist and an outdoors man/woman
    • You are an environmentalist and a hunter
    • You are not an environmentalist and you grew up in the city
    • You are not an environmentalist and you grew up in the country
    • You are not an environmentalist and you are an outdoors man/woman
    • You are not an environmentalist and you are a hunter

the unfortunate part is that this isn`t a multi-vote option.

you may be an environmentalist that moved around alot (city and counrty) like myself, you may also be a hunter!

so there`s 3 things you could tick accurately :)

This poll suffers from a common problem.

People may identify themselves with the term "environmentalist", but they may have a meaning for it that is different to the one that Dr Dalek subscribes to.

To me it can mean anything from someone who conscientiously recycles, to the loonies who try to sink oil tankers; from the people who work for the red squirrel conservation project, to those chumps who are camping out near Drax power station at the end of the month to raise awareness about global warming ("hello guuuuuuys, that was news in 1994").

Me:- I am an Environmentalist and conservationist too. I am the member of a NGO Haritma (stands for Greenery).

We work in our city as well as on the national level too.

Our main aim is to spread awareness.

We will be online soon and I will post the link hope all of you will support us.

Be the part of it.

A potentially interesting and thought provoking thread/poll, but the question and options not well thought out. I agree largely with Sayonara, unfortunately. But anyone not aware of and deeply concerned by general environmental issues, or in denial as to the potentially dire consequences of ignoring them, is firmly amongst the head-burying ostrich brigade. (Or is busy raking in the loot from short-term corporate greed, and letting their children pick up the future tab.)

As already stated, it's a matter of definition. If I were to use my own definition, I'm not an environmentalist, I recycle, I'm carfeful with energy and water use, and I'm aware of environmental issues. But, I'm by no means an activist, unless you class a few posts on here as such.

I class an environmentalist as taking action further, than what they have already presented to them, such as recycling et.c I also grew up in a town right next to the countryside, so I'm a bit torn if I consider myself as growing up in the country or city.

This poll suffers from a common problem.

People may identify themselves with the term "environmentalist"' date=' but they may have a meaning for it that is different to the one that Dr Dalek subscribes to.[/quote']

Or to amplify the problem: While I may or may not be able to decide whether I grew up in a city or on the county (village of 2000 people, next city being 3 km having ~12,000 inhabitants, next notable city with ~120,000 people being at ~12 km - in the terms I´m used to that´s countryside, but I´m not sure if that standard applies to less-densely populated areas/countries) ... I simply don´t know what an enviromentalist is. Of course I do know the term "enviroment", and I also what the ending "ist" means. But that term simply doesn´t exist in german (only similar terms like "enviromental activist" or "enviromental protector" - but I´d suppose they have a slightly stronger meaning than a plain "enviromentalist").

In short: What´s an enviromentalist?

the unfortunate part is that this isn`t a multi-vote option.

you may be an environmentalist that moved around alot (city and counrty) like myself' date=' you may also be a hunter!

so there`s 3 things you could tick accurately :)[/quote']

Unfortunatly I only thought of that after I posted the tread . . . It was too late to edit it

What is an environmentalist?

The proper definition is anyone who supports the preservation of the environment. So by merely turning the lights out at night, if I do it to save myself money (personal gain), I'm not an environmentalist. If I do it through the endeavour of decreasing energy consumption, I'm an environmentalist.

Basically any beneficial act for the environment could be classed as environmentalism, so long as preservation of the environment is what the person had in mind when doing said act.

I voted not an environmentalists. Unfortunately, environmentalists and liberal is almost as bad as terrorist in the States. I said no because I feel America as a whole doesn't think much of the environment and I don't do enough to offset that. But I am not ready to go climb a tree.

I voted not an environmentalists. Unfortunately, environmentalists and liberal is almost as bad as terrorist in the States.

I agree, the problem with modern America is that every thing is political.:mad:

Every time there seems to be something happening with the environment the ultra-liberal environmentalists need to make a big show out of it. I'm sure there are more moderate environmentalists out there but they don't make much noise compaired to the polerized ones.

I said no because I feel America as a whole doesn't think much of the environment and I don't do enough to offset that. But I am not ready to go climb a tree.

The problem in this reguard is that when someone is serious about a negative impact on the natural environment caused by Humans they just look like another extreamist environmentalist and arn't taken serously.

I'm an outdoors person who was born and lived in the Dorset countryside for the first few years of my life, then I moved to to a city when I was five. I recycle and purposly turn off lights to save energy but i'm not sure if I would go as far as to say i'm an environmentalist. Also if fishing is considered hunting I would call myself a hunter. So really I could almost vote for all of them.

I would like to think of an environmentalist as;

Anyone who consciously acknowledges their own personal ecological footprint bought about the way they live their life (be it first world urban living or nomadic hunting) and in turn tries to minimise the adverse environmental effects of their lifestyle choices. Thereby making environmentalism the spread and support of this view, trying to perpetuate an ecological conscience among society.

Unfortunately, environmentalists and liberal is almost as bad as terrorist in the States. I said no because I feel America as a whole doesn't think much of the environment and I don't do enough to offset that. But I am not ready to go climb a tree.

The U.S. looks like it is beginning to show signs of at least a small change.