dehydration and headaches

If headaches are caused by dehydration, why doesn't a tall glass of water do the trick?

Well it does for me if it's caused by dehydration.

But there can also be other causes for headaches, and in those cases a glass of water wont work.

If headaches are caused by dehydration, why doesn't a tall glass of water do the trick?

It does.

It takes a little while for the hydration to make its way to your brain.

To speed it up, add sugar and/or salt, both of which speed up the absorption process in your GI tract. (Gatorade made a killing off this fact.)

• 3 weeks later...

Headaches can also be caused by problems with teeth, the digestive tract, neck or back muscles or completely other things like poisoning. Not sure about the digestive tract, but it must be "there somewhere" (intestine, stomach). Also, the poisoning is just a weird guess.

Drinking a glass of water won't do the trick, because dehydration is usually a long-term phenomenon. Usually from too much salt(y food) or other substances that stress the kidneys. The body needs time to absorb the water. You should change your diet and drink more water. (I like to apply honey.) Don't drink too much. You have to raise the amount over a period of time, so your body can accustom to it.

Also, a tall glass of water before bed after a hard night of drinking will allow you to dodge the "hangover bullet" for exactly the same reason - hangover=dehydration.

Are you sure it affects the hangover that much? I thought this was just an urban legend.