Manipulating a single electron

insane_alien

"An electron does not only have an electrical charge, but it also behaves like an ultrasmall magnet. This is caused by the spinning of the electron around its axis"

GAH! One of biggest obstackes to scientific understanding in the general population has to be the deplorable state of science reporting.

So, any estimates on how long till we having quantum computers?

I'm thinking 15 yrs probably. We'll probably hit the processor speed "wall" soon with our current computer chips, and when that happens funding will be poured into possible alternatives...

From what I read else where quantum computers have an edge in computing large equations, they don't particularly go faster than an normal PC. It's like having 50 PC's hooked together essentially. Is this correct?

P.S.

Go Holland!

er... we dont really have quantum computers at all

other then the above example, which I guess would be a system with only 1 bit

A fully built quantum computer in the sense, would work much faster. More calculations per second means it can do any task that much faster.

I´d like to add that the clue about quantum computers is not that they are faster in the sense of "more operations per second". The clue is that losely speaking they base on a different mathematical model. That enables algorithms which are not possible with normal computers. The interest in quantum computers lies in these new algorithms which are not possible with normal computers, not in that they are seen as the solution to build a 20 GHz Pentium8.

I´d like to add that the clue about quantum computers is not that they are faster in the sense of "more operations per second". The clue is that losely speaking they base on a different mathematical model. That enables algorithms which are not possible with normal computers. The interest in quantum computers lies in these new algorithms which are not possible with normal computers, not in that they are seen as the solution to build a 20 GHz Pentium8.

Yeah thats what I meant.

One of the ideas behind quantum computing is that each q-bit can be in every possible state at once. This means that a quantum computer could, in theory, do multiple, similar calculations at once. It's like dual processors times a bunch.

To compare to a binary system (note: qbits are not binary), it would be like each bit was both 1 and 0 at the same time, allowing for the excecution of thousands of iterations of a program in the same time it would take to excecute one iteration on a normal computer.

If I remember correctly, that is.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So, any estimates on how long till we having quantum computers?

I'm thinking 15 yrs probably. We'll probably hit the processor speed "wall" soon with our current computer chips, and when that happens funding will be poured into possible alternatives...

I think much sooner, maybe within 6 - 12 months. In Nigeria we fund research into this for many years.

I think much sooner, maybe within 6 - 12 months. In Nigeria we fund research into this for many years.

Almost nothing gets commercialized that fast, from lab demo to useful product. At what level does Nigeria fund ths research? (and how does that compare to the rest of the world?)

• 1 month later...

So basically today's PCs use 1s and zeros, and quantum computers use more than that? ... Sorry I'm asking much questions in various topics, but I was told on this forum the best way to learn is to ask. Thnx in advance

Before quantum computers take over, I think there is going to be alot of major upgrades in electronic computers.

Recently they have been developing systems that use both the charge of electrons and the magnetic properties to do computation.

I know very little about it, but the result is that they can develope much much faster computers..

A full on quantum computer is just going to be insane.. We're talking storing entire documents on photons, compared to breaking it into bits... nutso!

"An electron does not only have an electrical charge, but it also behaves like an ultrasmall magnet. This is caused by the spinning of the electron around its axis"

GAH! One of biggest obstackes to scientific understanding in the general population has to be the deplorable state of science reporting.

Don't you think something spins? I do. Electrons have a magnetic moment. If you look at my model, you see locally angular momentum vectors pointing along the surface of the sphere, but they have a z-component (sin(theta)) in summation. Quantum mechanics gives us relations between total angular momentum and z-component. I wound many electromagnets as a kid and believe in this physics. Here, the carrier is the superconducting vacuum. Now think about differentials in automobile drivelines. They deal with different spin rates. Somewhere in the Feynman Lectures I read "maybe we'll find the internal gears of the electron." I am speaking of the characeristics of rotation of whatever.