Salt Dough

adsl1981

hey

i received my water retaining crystals today . I tried em and i found it quite interesting. But i do not think that they would be thick enough in consistancy. I think when they come under pressure they release the water and just turn into water. Really i need it to be more like the silly putty stuff you can get. But thats just too expensive. Please let me know if i am not using these crystals correctly or something ?

Cheers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you CAN make your own Silly Putty! :)

silicone oil and boric acid is all you need.

did you try all different grain sizes and hydrations? there surely will be a happy medium that will work.

failing that try the silver sand and motor oil, use the gel crystals in the garden :)

I have found a decent website that sells silicone oil and may sell other stuff that you may be interested in if you want to take a look.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Silicone_oil.htm

Is that the correct thing that i need to buy ?

And have you got any idea what quantities I need to use to get putty consistency.

hello

could do with just a little bit more of advice :)

Just wondering what viscocity do you think would be best for the silicone oil to make the putty ?

Also do you think the Elmers glue and boric acid would be a good recipe :)?

Thank you im just about to order the things now