Does anyone believe in folding space/time?

Guest Nuclear

Guest Nuclear

I watched Event Horizon (the film) and i like the idea that space/time could be folded. I asked around and about and found that some people believe that there could be universes(i think they said this) that might already be already folded. could anyone put a bit of science behind this. My mind is totally blaged out at the moment, and i need a bit of wisdom on this matter from someone...anyone.

Nuclear said in post #1 :

I watched Event Horizon (the film) and i like the idea that space/time could be folded. I asked around and about and found that some people believe that there could be universes(i think they said this) that might already be already folded. could anyone put a bit of science behind this. My mind is totally blaged out at the moment, and i need a bit of wisdom on this matter from someone...anyone.

Well, what do you mean by folded? Our universe has space-time bends. I don't know of any "folds" per-say, but I'm sure many would agree that space-time is curved and bent sharply around blackholes.

That's what people think wormholes are too.

on a sidenote, omgosh, do you find that movie freaky?

I watched it for a while, but later got sidetracked b/c i had to do something else. but it's SOOOO gory!

It's not that gory at all tbh, compared to some of what's out there.

Apparently some of the "hell dimension" footage was cut because it was a bit disturbing, but I can still think of far more gory films.

"The People Under the Stairs" would be a good place to start if you want to stay around the mainstream...

Coming back to the subject (Yes, someone needs to be the geek and disturb everyone. Today it's me. Muaha):

I believe that other than the fact we can't say no on anything (Sayonara can be my witness ;) there's astrong possibility for "FOLDS" in space but I am not sure it is how you meant it. I don't remember watching this specific movie, but if i take the idea of (say..) Startrek, then the "Space Folding" is actually quite logical.

To understand this, you can think of space like a piece of paper (very very inaccurate since paper is 2D and we believe space is *more* than 3D but just to make the point) - now draw two dots on the paper. If you awnt to travel from one point to the other, it takes you a while - but if you find a way to "BEND" that piece of paper - the dots get closer and your travel takes less time considerably.

About the actual physics of it - well, it's all theories, but if you want to check a bit around this, there are many sites concerning the physics behind Startrek - there's a lot of logic behind it btw, and many holes, quite interresting - many of them talk about the logic behind what the show reffers to as Pulse Engines, Warp drives, Wormholes and so on. Just search the net for the logic behind startrek physics and you'll get it all.

~mooeypoo

one idea I heard about, was to compress the space infont of the craft and expand the space behind it, creating a forwards motion by Warping space.

it`s a nice idea, but think that`s all it is, at least for a very long time :)

not to mention sources of Dilithium LOL :)

I think it was on the same documentary about warp drives that it was suggested using something called "Zero Point" energy. I did a few searches for it after watching it, needless to say there was very little in the way he was describing it, and that most of it didn`t understand. fascinating non the less :)

Dilithium is just one of the sticky wickets.

The function of the dilithium crystal is to form a matrix that can direct and confine the matter-antimatter reactant streams, because "it doesn't react with antimatter" (ahem).

Clearly this is a little dodgy.

lots of books out there if you have the time to read it but

the book i especially like is my textbook frm university

can't remember what its called but the other is

B. W. Carroll & D.A. Ostlie, think the title is Modern Astrophysics

but there are alot of papers out there too, search for xxx.lanl.gov

i think well lanl and papers and then type wormholes.

But the idea has alot to do with negative mattter. However

it is believed that a wormhole is never sustainable

because all the positive energy will collapse onto the exit and

thus you will be trapped between the singularity region and the exit.

As for folding, the paper example is the best one where you take a needle and thread and tie the end onto one have of the paper and then poke a hole on the other half and pull the two halfs together. The string represents the path that will be traversed.

i do not believe in the concept though of actually making the path shorter, i think it will be more of how fast you are going.

Which brings me to time travel which i do not logically think is possible because combining this with the multiuniverse idea how would you ever know that you were in the same place.

And how could you ever describe the events that would change with many time travellers that started their journeys at the same time but travelled to different times. One mans journery into the past would be repeatedly distorted by another mans journey into the past of the other mans past.

Oy, enough with the poodles already! :D

In this case, the poodles being time travel. I was an avid Star Trek fan (at least, and avid Star Trek VOYAGER fan...) but even so, the time travel episodes would always get me channel surfing... it just makes NO sense whatsoever. You travel into the past for one millisecond and the ENTIRE future is reshaped.

But then comes the fate idea kinda thing. Perhaps the future was only created because the person traveled into the past... and ooh, there's the migraine.

• 4 weeks later...

"Folding space" is a term which describes 'wormholes.'

Wormholes as a means for space travel were invented by a man named Kip Thorne in 1985, who had been asked by astronomer Carl Sagan to help with his novel Contact (made into a movie starring Jodie Foster). It is a geometrically valid observation which is discounted only by the fact that nothing in physics infers wormholes as such, hence it may be argued to have a place in theoretical physics of equal validity that it does to science fiction.

I've seen the movie Event Horizon myself (and found it exceedingly enjoyable), in which a singularity is generated aboard a starship using an enormously powerful, gravimetric field.

Although designed to travel vast distances of space via 'wormhole' creation, what had in fact had necessarily happened was a tremendous distortion in space-time relative to a massive gravitational body. Thus it would appear to have dealt more with time displacement relative to space (and potential psychological results to proximate humans), perhaps achieving the travel of vast distances in this manner.

A Schwarzschild (non-spinning or static) black hole is the description of a singularity point, such as that hypothetically produced in the movie. Around this point, at a radius of R=2GM/c^2 (where M is the simulated mass of the singularity), no light would escape, thus making the vessel itself disappear, apparently winking into "hyperspace" and taking its passengers into another 'time dimension.'