Different colored eyes

Law

Im not sure if someone already had a thread about this...But my friend told me he saw somebody with two different colored eyes and now he wants them:confused: I told him about these forums and he wanted me to ask, is it possible to give yourself two different colored eyes without hurting yourself or blinding yourself??

p.s w/o contacts of course...thanks

I don't believe so. IIRC, it's a genetic defect.

I am not by any means qualified to talk about medical matters, as my medical "training" does not extend beyond first aid and CPR, but I don't see any reason why you could have two different colored eyes, if not born that way. I suppose surgery, perhaps, but I doubt that as well.

So, long story short, I don't think so, but I am not qualified to give an answer either way.

Try color contacts

There are people with two different colored eyes. I actualy know someone with different colors in one eye. Blue with a brown streak

Well, (s)he said not contacts, so... But you can get contacts for those who do not need prescriptions. They are used in theatrical productions all the time.

But blue with a brown streak? Weird, but cool.

I didn't make it very clear in my first post - I wasn't denying that people have different colors in their eyes, I was saying that I don't think there's a way of acquiring that trait after birth, short of contacts.

Acquired heterochromia

Heterochromia that is acquired is usually due to injury' date=' inflammation, the use of certain eyedrops, or tumors.

Abnormal iris darker

* Deposition of material

o Siderosis - iron deposition within ocular tissues due to a penetrating injury and a retained iron-containing, intraocular foreign body.

o Hemosiderosis - long standing hyphema (blood in the anterior chamber) following blunt trauma to the eye may lead to iron deposition from blood products

* Use of certain eyedrops - prostaglandin analogues (latanoprost, isopropyl unoprostone, travoprost, and bimatoprost) are used topically to lower intraocular pressure in glaucoma patients. A concentric heterochromia has developed in some patients applying these drugs. The stroma around the iris sphincter muscle becomes darker than the peripheral stroma. A stimulation of melanin synthesis within iris melanocytes has been postulated.

* Neoplasm - Nevi and melanomatous tumors.

Abnormal iris lighter

* Fuchs' heterochromic iridocyclitis - a condition characterized by a low grade, a symptomatic uveitis in which the iris in the affected eye becomes hypochromic and has a washed-out, somewhat moth eaten appearance. The heterochromia can be very subtle, especially in patients with lighter colored irides. It is often most easily seen in daylight. The prevalence of heterochromia associated with Fuch's has been estimated in various studies[8'][9][10] with results suggesting that there is more difficulty recognizing iris color changes in dark-eyed individuals.[10][11]

* Acquired Horner's syndrome - usually acquired, as in neuroblastoma,[12] although sometimes inherited.

* Neoplasm - Melanomas can also be very lightly pigmented, and a lighter colored iris may be a rare manifestation of metastatic disease to the eye.

Seems like stabbing her in the eye with a rusty nail might do the trick. Or she might try and pray for a tumor :P

• 1 month later...

My dad has teo different coloured eyes. One blue one brown.

The colour of your eyes does change over your life time. Much like your skill changes with a tan (AFAIK its the same pigment molecuels). Exposure to sunlight might allow you to change the coulour to more of a brown colour, but there would be risks with this (blindness to over exposure), and it wouldn't happen over night (you might have to go around with an eyepatch for half you life). So I wouldn't recomend this in any way.

you don't want to do anything like that . i mean if the gene expression can somehow be altered in the embryonic stages then fine otherwise no.if your friend still wants them i suggest he/she better use contacts what difference does it make anyway.

you don't want to do anything like that . i mean if the gene expression can somehow be altered in the embryonic stages then fine otherwise no.if your friend still wants them i suggest he/she better use contacts what difference does it make anyway.

Also contacts are reversable. You can take them out when the fasion fad is over. Who knows in 5 years or so having two difernet coloured eyes might be considered unfasionable and if you invoke a permenent change, you can't go back. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The color of your eyes is based upon the genes that you receive from your parents. You cannot control these; therefore, the ability to control what colors you get and then manipulate those colors is impossible. You would need to get contacts, but you made it clear that they do not want to get contacts. Other than that, I do not think it is possible to change your color. It does it naturally, though.

Something neat I recently learned is that sometimes a person's eyes will turn light blue if they have cataracts. This may have only been for black people. I've seen black people in my life with blue eyes; it seems quite astounding. I might have a picture in my genetics or biology books. I'm pretty sure the black people were not wearing contacts. I have the ability to tell when someone is wearing contacts.

I asked my biology professor a long time ago if he knew anything about black people with blue eyes. I figured that the people were either colorblind or something. I think I remember tripping across something that said people with cataracts often develop blue eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay this is what I vaguely remember from biology. I believe the cause of having two different colored eyes is because the protein (I think that's right) is read wrong. As in you have blue eye genes, but in the creation of your eyes your DNA is read wrong and the bad information is passed on.

On another note, I have green eyes, but in my right eye I have a brown streak. It's my only birthmark, and I have no idea how that happens. I suppose on the same premise?

• 2 months later...

Hi there I just wanted to comment and see if anyone out there could give me any info as well. I was born with 2 blue eyes, and after about 18 mos. one of my eyes turned brown. Prior to me no one in my family has ever had 2 different colored eyes. I've never had any kind of trauma or injury to explain it, nor ever had any medication stronger than robitussin. Eyesight in both eyes is normal,never had any need for glasses or anything. Also, I never even heard this had a name till I googled "2 different colored eys", m liscense acually reads 'dichromatic'. Please feel free to let me know if ayone else knows anyhting...

• 1 month later...

I am also a person who was born with the same colour eyes at birth and had my one eye change colour. I have a blue eye and a half brown/half blue eye. I have normal vision (no glasses) and have not had any type of trauma to my eyes or medications to cause the color change. I never knew that it was called heterochromia until I looked it up online after someone told me they had seen a CSI episode where a corpse had it!! :eek:

All I know is whether in style or not this is me and I wouldn't change them for the world. :D

I don't know about having two eyes coloured differently but each of my eyes has 2 colors. Basically green on the outside and brown in the inside/middle with center black of course :). I have no problems with vision, I used to wear glasses when I was young, which was really unnecessary and part of doctor's conwork to sell expensive glasses.