Who believes in evolution?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Turkey finally beat us in something, crackpottery. I remember they have that anti-science museum where they equate Darwin to Hitler and Pol Pot.

Too bad we got this from such a credible news source (sarcasm). I'd rather trust AiG (kidding, kidding, but you get the point). I see LiveScience is the original source. I'm going to have to look at it further when I get some time.

God Bless America, of which he specially created! No history books, please.

Thanks Bascule.

That doesn't mean I can't see the funny side of a civilisation collapsing through voluntary lobotomisation.

In fact, if America destroys itself with this foolishness, that will pretty much mean creationism is extinct. Yay! Go creationism!

I think you may be in the wrong thread.

No, I'm not. This is the right thread. You're from the UK right? Think about how serious a problem it is for you if we don't solve it here.

Creationism is on its way out anyway. I feel a scientific renaissance on the horizon as a result of this idiocy.

That doesn't mean I can't see the funny side of a civilisation collapsing through voluntary lobotomisation.

Despite the majority of our population remaining scientifically ignorant, we still remain one of the most scientifically progressive nations in the world.

The fact that Turkey, a very religious muslim nation, is the only one lower than the US on the poll, tells you something.

I think the Jahovas Witnesses bring our average down a bit.

Despite the majority of our population remaining scientifically ignorant, we still remain one of the most scientifically progressive nations in the world.

Just because thaey don't believe in evolution dosn't mean that they are not aware, or even educated in other sciences.

I think the Jahovas Witnesses bring our average down a bit.

I have to disagree. Only .7% of Americans are Jehovah's Witnesses. There is no scale from 0 to 100 on this, it's a "yes," a "no," or an "I'm not sure." Statistically speaking, that .7% would hardly make a difference.

I would be very interested to see this poll expanded into the Middle East, Africa, and Asia (particularly Communist and ex-Communist nations). It would be curious to see if the US collectively supports evolution less than, say, Saudi Arabia (I doubt it, but you never know).

I would also be intrigued by a poll in the US only that asked creationists if they would accept evolution if evolution was endorsed or accepted by their church.

I can't say I was surprised by the result, though. What was surprising to me was that they polled Cyprus.

Creationism is on its way out anyway. I feel a scientific renaissance on the horizon as a result of this idiocy.
I don't think this is true. Unfortunately, religious fundamentalists are better organized and much of their support isn't interested in the kind of in-depth explanation science has to offer. Rallies are quicker and more entertaining than symposiums, and the food is better. There's that whole "immortal soul" angle, which scares the crap out of many. And they just plain don't like "being evolved from monkeys".

Not to drag this thread into politics, but I think there is a strong pro-Christian response to wartime propoganda such as "Islamofascist" terrorism. Unlike the Catholic church which recognizes the theory of evolution, many of the Christian groups which are skilled at grass roots statewide organization believe in a literal translation of parts of the Bible, just as many Islamic extremists take parts of the Quran literally. In the US, terrorism has been most effective at producing hysterical responses, and one of those is certainly embracing the creationism offered by some church leaders. Interesting how terrorism has evolved; they no longer have to wield the actual sword to make us lose our heads.