Sci Fi short story comp?

Skye

I thought that with a fair number of people on this site interested in science fiction it might be interesting to run a short story competition. Perhaps we could have a similar set up to the debate forum, with an area to vote and discuss the stories.

I'm interested in the level of support, and any suggestions about how you'd like to work.

I would be most interested in partaking in said competition (though what little writing skills I have).

I would say as many people can enter as they want. You submit the stories to the person running the competition who would make a thread, and attach the stories to the thread. The winner would be decided by a user vote.

Perhaps a prize could be offered? And a word limit range as well?

I want to start small with this idea, having this one competition, but there is enough Staff interest that this could become a quarterly event or even have an ongoing forum of it's own. For now let's imagine it as a yearly competition.

I'm reluctant to limit or constrain the number of words but I'm also concerned that someone will dump a 97 page effort they wrote in junior high on us. I suppose we should have an upper limit, though.

Prizes are tough since we're not charging for this so someone's got to pony up the dough for anything we give away. I guess I could donate a set of steak knives for second place. :D

I want to start small with this idea' date=' having this one competition, but there is enough Staff interest that this could become a quarterly event or even have an ongoing forum of it's own. For now let's imagine it as a yearly competition.

I'm reluctant to limit or constrain the number of words but I'm also concerned that someone will dump a 97 page effort they wrote in junior high on us. I suppose we should have an upper limit, though.

Prizes are tough since we're not charging for this so someone's got to pony up the dough for anything we give away. I guess I could donate a set of steak knives for second place. :D[/quote']

I meant some sort of forum prize. A temporary custom user title perhaps, higher PM limit... something of that nature.

The rest of your ideas sound good to me.

OOo! maybe I can try this to see if I can get my idea to work.

I would be pleased in getting first. A natural reward!

...but if your still in suggestion for the literacy forum, you could make the prize moderation of a sub-section, like creative writing. I think if you get enough contestants, the winner surely would be qualified. Or maybe have like the top 5 winners put into a vote for moderation.

Then again I doubt yall want voted in moderators.

Sounds fun; I'd be more than happy to post my major WIP in installments. Perhaps we should just have one big forum, though, to include both written works and other artistic endeavors. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who does something creative.

Incidentally, the portions I've edited and polished so far are up at my dA page: http://mokele.deviantart.com/

Mokele

• 2 weeks later...

I think, if there's going to be a competitive aspect to it, it might be more interesting to put strict limitations on the writing. For example, what's the best story you can write in under 500 words? What's the best story you can write from the perspective of a single brick? etc.

Not only would that sort of thing lend itself more easily to comparison, but it would be more likely to produce something interesting from amateur writers, which, I'm assuming, we pretty much all are. Plus, severe restriction is excellent practice in becoming a better writer, which is a good idea, since, frankly, the VAST majority of science fiction is ATROCIOUSLY written. For some reason science geeks tend to think that, despite the years and years it took them to become competent in their fields, they can still write well on a whim...

I'm not talking about any of you specifically, BTW. I intentionally didn't read anyone's work before complaining about terrible sci fi writers in general...

I think, if there's going to be a competitive aspect to it, it might be more interesting to put strict limitations on the writing. For example, what's the best story you can write in under 500 words? What's the best story you can write from the perspective of a single brick? etc

This is a great idea... it adds some structure and purpose. Plus we can have recurrent competition with different themes.

I wrote this for a class last semester. But, I'll enter it here. It's not great but, STFU.

I quite liked it; nicely original, a bit of Frankenstien mixed with a bit of Metropolis (the film, not the city).

As far as contests, they could be good, if enough people participate, but maybe just a section for creative endeavors in general, where people can post stuff as they please.

Mokele

I just read it too. Sounds like it could be the opening scene for a sci-fi action movie. Very cool!

As a short story though, are you trying to make any political statements? As in, it might be better to be blissfully ignorant than enlightened but paranoid?