Essential programs

Anjruu

Hi. I just got a new computer, and, because I hate the trials and free offers and the crapola that windows loads into every computer, I uninstalled everything but the OS. I was wondering what you all would suggest for installing next. A list of essential software, preferably free ware, that I should install. I already have Firefox and Thunderbird, but not an ISP. No virus protection or anything like that, or media players. (I'm not accessing SFN on that computer, I'm using another one). Thanks!

-anjruu

Try Opera if you haven't already. I've been using Firefox for about a year but recently switched to Opera as it loads much faster and uses far less memory. The advantages that Firefox has due to extentions is minimal as Opera has alot of features when you dig into it.

off the top of my head/links i had to hand:

FIREWALL

ZoneAlarm

***note -- turn off windows firewall if you just installed sp2***

---

ANTI-VIRUS

either AVG or Avast.

---

ANTI-SPY/ADWARE

Spybot S&D (make sure to select the option to turn teatimer on) and Ad-Aware SE (Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D tutorial), and Spywareblaster and Spyware Guard.

---

SYSTEM MAINTANANCE

CCleaner

---

ETC

http://www.openoffice.org/ <-- office suite sans annoying paperclip

http://www.editpadpro.com/ <-- 'lite' version is free... it's better than the great yet humble notepad, but it depends on how much you use simple text editors

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/ <-- multi-protocol IM client. alternatively, MSN messanger without the ads.

Alien, I've heard that Linux is frightfully complicated, and you can screw up your computer easily. Also, a lot of windows programs, especially games, won't work on Linux. Are those true, or just propaganda?

Awesome, thanks Dak. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cerulean is a funny word. So is Loiter. Just say it outloud. LLoooiiittterrrr.

linux CAN be all of those things but thats usually the rare case. Ubuntu is a distro that is incredibly simple, won't screw up your machine(no linux distro will screw up your machine if you use it properly) most window programs and games can be emulated fine in linux with a bit of work. i got half life 2 working in ubuntu with little trouble.

download the ubuntu live CD and burn it if you want to see what its like without installing it. and if you do decide to install it, you can keep windows as well.

Hmmm...what sort of work does emulating entail? And how is Ubuntu diffrent that normal linux? Is there such a thing as normal linux? Why am I asking so many questions? Speaking of funny words, isn't Ubuntu a funny word?

emulating requires downloading a program called WINE or Cedega(either one works but i like WINE) and then using a command line to open the program you want through WINE and it should then work normally.

Ubuntu is a distro of linux thats designed to be easy to use but still as functional as all the other distros. meaning it can be used by beginners or advanced users.

there is no normal linux as far as i'm aware.

not a clue why your asking so many questions. a sedative may help in this regard.

yeah ubuntu is a pretty crazy word.

"linux" is just the name of the basic kernal, a distrobution of linux, of which ubuntu is one, takes the kernal and adds alot of otehr applications to it, including a windows manager...

There's nothing stoping you doing what I do which is dual booting, so you use linux every day for your genearl web, stuff and work, and some gaming but if you NEED windows for whatever reason, you've still got the ability to use it.

If you're looking for apps I think it's funny cause most Linux distros come with all the "essential programs" you'll ever need. Windows normally comes with just itself, or like you said with trial/crap stuff.

Dont listen to insane_alien about emulating Windows games though. It's not easy for new people (like you) and lots of times doesn't work very well, if at all. WINE is very impressive but it's just not going to be what you think.

seemed pretty easy for me with HL2.

1.download wine with synaptic(well i used aptitude but synaptic is the GUI for aptitudee basically)

2. initialize wine by typing "wine" in the console.

3. download steam and install it by "wine /pathtoinstallfile/steam.exe"

4. just download it if you can't be bothered getting it off the cd it works like it was on windows

ANTI-SPY/ADWARE

Spybot S&D (make sure to select the option to turn teatimer on) and (Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D tutorial), and Spywareblaster and Spyware Guard.

I have something to add in here.

I suggest ewido anti-spyware, it offers a full scan and removal of virus for unregistered users.

It also provides daily update. Every time my computer is scanned with it, a list of several trackers are found.

I'll add to that list.

Get the free version of Ad-Aware and go out and buy either SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor. I find it essential to run at least 3 anti-spy progs as they all look for slightly different things. Hijackthis is also essential if you think you may be infected or just as a quick scan. File Monitor and Process Explorer are also useful tools for the things the automatics can't get.

For keeping a system clean, I couldn't live without my System Mechanic.