Aerosol Can refilling (no Idiots Please!)

YT2095

I realise it's entertainment, and you're well within your rights to watch and enjoy it.

By the same token I am well within my rights to complain that the already dumbed-down population, who are so completely alienated from science, knowledge and the betterment of the self that they often actually ridicule academic ambition, are now being presented with yet another programme that says "hey kids, science is boring and scientists are just geeks. But we stole their fire and made THIS with it - isn't it fun? Who cares how it works."

Don't tell me to lighten up when I am expressing genuine and well-founded concerns about the direction society is heading - it's not an appropriate response.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who have no social life because they spend all their life slaving away obsessively at one thing.

Because as we all know, going to keggers and vomitting up your own stomach is more important and clever than curing HIV or producing clean energy.

well I know of no such program EVER in TV history that ever stated "Science is boring" to kids?

quite the opposite in fact!

I`de go so far as to say that some kids watching this will actualy think twice about science and get interested in it!

no one denied your "Rights", I just disagree with you on this one. it does no harm at all to Science, quite the opposite in my opinion. you state your concerns are "Well Founded", well what are they? (other than it`s "Crapulent")

you may as well say that Star Trek is just as damaging :)

gene said in post #55 :

Err.... :x

I type it under the wrong topic. Oops. it is suppose to be under "Help"

Sorry....

:x

Basically, giving a correct answer is not as important as knowing how to arrive at one.

But then you sound like you already know that ;)

[edit]

This post does not make much sense because replies #54 and #55, to which it refers, have been deleted.

They are in this thread: http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2339

I studied Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics at school (along with English Language, English Literature, French, Latin, Ancient Greek).

At University I took a bachelors degree in Applied Biology, a bit like biology only more difficult :-(

My job at the moment is not science-based, but then to me a job is not somethig that defines who or what I am.

Sayonara³ said in post #57 :

Basically, giving a correct answer is not as important as knowing how to arrive at one.

But then you sound like you already know that ;)

Erm. I am sorry. But, i don't really get you. It is past 12.30 midnight. and i'm quite tired and my brain isn't functioning very well. Sorry... for the trouble. After this, i'm going to bed.

YT2095 said in post #56 :

well I know of no such program EVER in TV history that ever stated "Science is boring" to kids?

quite the opposite in fact!

I`de go so far as to say that some kids watching this will actualy think twice about science and get interested in it!

no one denied your "Rights", I just disagree with you on this one. it does no harm at all to Science, quite the opposite in my opinion. you state your concerns are "Well Founded", well what are they? (other than it`s "Crapulent")

you may as well say that Star Trek is just as damaging :)

Seriously YT... dance with reality for a moment you crazed hippy.

Sky One is the dumbed-down, shiny-lighted capital city of UK television. There's no escaping it.

"Brainiac" may well be lots of fun (and I didn't say it wasn't) but it is a symptom of the 'reduction of information' culture that is widening the academic gap in this country.

This argument is part of a larger discussion that I am not likely to continue with you, because so far you seem to be headed into "fingers-in-ears lalalala" territory. I am going to restrict my responses to those supporting my actual claim which was that brainiac is not scientific, yet presents itself as such. I will not be distracted by irrelevant wanderings no matter how deftly they are substituted for counter-arguments.

gene said in post #62 :

So, what's your occupation? Care to reveal?

At the moment I am a business analyst, which is quite handy in both directions.

My job makes use of the training I've had in interpreting information, and "repays" that by keeping me in practice.

Wahoo... cool. well, haven't you taught of doing business yourself with science? Like maybe in the pharmaceutical industry. You can utilise both science knowledge and you business skills.

YT, i always wannted to ask you this question but, i keep forgetting. So now, here it is: What do you mean by (No Idiots Please! ) in your topic. i still don't get it... what idiots are you talking about? :P

LOL! "fingers-in-ears lalalala" territory.

erm... that and "Seriously YT... dance with reality for a moment you crazed hippy."

is no way to present a reason or arg, personal slurs or attempted insults, still doesn`t explain your original stance and reasoning behind your comments, and as it IS a forum for discussion, where is the problem?

FOR THE LOVE OF MIGHTY JEBUS

Sayonara³ said in post #49 :

Their test of "do redheads experience more pain than brunettes" - as an example - can hardly be called scientific.

They had a sample group of 1 individual for each test group. They had no control group. They produced no quantifiable data of any kind. Their interpretation of the experiment was arbitrary. They consulted (and cited) no references.

It is not scientific.

ps - you know perfectly well that me calling anyone a "hippy" is not meant to be a slur in any way :P

pps - this being a discussion forum does not make participation in every possible discussion mandatory.

they consulted and cited no references.... OK, but so what?

it was their OWN citation/refference, I do my own all the time!

I may say that mixing this breed with that will give such and such a result, it`s non the less valid if my observaions and method are recorded acurately :)

and it`s evident that theirs are not to the most most unscientific of minds (my friends 8 year old lad sees right through it!).

we`ll agree to disagree on this point, it`s hardly worth the debate for ill feeling with a fellow forumite.

back to Aerosols anyway, we`ve drifted enough me thinks :)

gene said in post #63 :

YT, i always wannted to ask you this question but, i keep forgetting. So now, here it is: What do you mean by (No Idiots Please! ) in your topic. i still don't get it... what idiots are you talking about? :P

quite simply that the practice of refilling an aerosol Can, may be potentialy dangerous.

and there will always be the odd "wise guy" that wants to push the envelope beyond their capabilities and usualy end up either hurting themselves or someone else.

I was refering to NO ONE in particular either :)