Sociopath ?, Treatable ?

I started this thread because I questioned the use of Ritalin in this individual.

Evidently it did not stop or reduce his offending, it may have even have made it worse, (here is a similar case):-

" Donna Miller's son Lee was prescribed Ritalin after he was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of five.

Donna, who lives in Edinburgh, found her son's behaviour immediately worsened.

Although a boisterous "typical boy" before starting on the drugs, Lee became aggressive and violent when taking the medication.

"His behaviour totally changed. He was a handful before, but on that drug he was frightening," she said.

"The final straw was when he attacked his brother Derek.

"He was only five but he picked Derek up and physically threw him through a glass door."

Donna took her son off Ritalin after six weeks due to concerns that he was a danger to the family. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/5308292.stm

As for the usefulness of "labelling", a correct diagnosis is necessary for correct therapy.

In the UK a review of the medical guidelines for diagnosing and treating ADHD will not be available until 2008.

I started this thread because I questioned the use of Ritalin in this individual.

Well of course Ritalin isn't going to work for everyone. That can be said about every drug, and usually is in the disclaimers, and fine print.

My reading comprehension skills may not be the best, but your initial post appeared to have a lot more in it than just the question about Ritalin.

We still really don't know anymore than we did before. I'm sure if you looked harder you could find more examples of Ritalin not being successful as a treatment. What good would that do anyone? I would ask more questions, but you really seem unwilling to answer any questions that have been put to you by anyone. So good luck.

I did make a suggestion my first post. I suggested to make reports of every incident to social services....

It may give you closure on this matter to know that Social Services have been aware of this child's family since before his birth: his mother gave birth to him when she was 15 years old, (age of consent in the UK is 16).

So he has a social worker, he has seen a psychiatrist (hence the Ritalin),

and is well known (infamous) to teachers, the police, the judiciary and the fire brigade.

So every authority is aware of his behaviour, but apparently nothing can be done to prevent his chronic offending.

It may give you closure on this matter to know that Social Services have been aware of this child's family since before his birth: his mother gave birth to him when she was 15 years old, (age of consent in the UK is 16).

So he has a social worker, he has seen a psychiatrist (hence the Ritalin),

and is well known (infamous) to teachers, the police, the judiciary and the fire brigade.

So every authority is aware of his behaviour, but apparently nothing can be done to prevent his chronic offending.

From the sounds of it he should be heavily sedated until legally an adult, then allowed to burn down some building no-one wants, grotesqly mutilate some already dead animal, throw a cup of urine at the judge in the hearing that follows and be committed for perpetuity.

Sorry, humour when confronted with the ugly extremes of the human animal is a hard to resist coping strategy.

At least he's not the kind of sociopath or psychopath thats intelligent enough to hide his sadistic tendencies. They are the most dangerous to society. This guy would probably assimilate fine into some small provincial backwater where everyone would know to watch out for his "quirks". Lots of people like him in places like that.

I don't think you're going to get any more valid advice out of a forum of people you don't even know. If you want a second opinion, go ask someone qualified to do so, like another trusted psychiatrist. The level of insensitivity in this thread astounds me, and the number of people pretending like they know the solution also astounds me. This isn't something we can diagnose without knowing the full situation.