how do blind people dream?

frostbite

after reflecting over what i read about blind people. something suddenly popped in my mind. "HOW DO BLIND PEOPLE DREAM." its quite vague since they can't see anything, so how do they go about dreaming?

i found an article on the reader's digest which says that they inherit their dreams from their parents who, if not like them, can see. this further lead me to another question: "Dreams come from the subconscious part of the mind right? so the subconsciousness of a person can be inherited? but stilll i'm not satisfied since its just me putting "facts" together. I'd like to hear your opinions and ideas about this.

i found an article on the reader's digest which says that they inherit their dreams from their parents who' date=' if not like them, can see. [/quote']

I find this very hard to believe. It is the reader's digest, so they may just be talking crap, but are you sure you didn't misunderstand what they were saying?

Yes, blind people do have dreams. However, those blind since birth or very early childhood have no visual imagery in their dreams. Instead, they experience a very high percentage of taste, smell, and touch sensations in their dreams.

The breakdown is as follows:

There are no visual images in the dreams of those born without any ability to experience visual imagery in waking life.

Individuals who become blind before the age of five seldom experience visual imagery in their dreams.

Those who become sightless between the ages of five and seven may or may not retain some visual imagery.

Most people who lost their vision after age seven continue to experience at least some visual imagery, although its frequency and clarity often fade with time.

==> taken from :http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/11187

experience of vision first is needed before it can be translated into a dream. Those blind for a lifetime instead experience other keenly developed senses in their dreams--i.e., the sensation of moving around, the emotion of joy, etc.

Dream images of the blind instead seem to be reconstructions of objects based on sensory input such as touch and sound, just as occurs in waking life. Some images are constructs based on input from other senses (and on what the dreamer has been told by the sighted about what these objects look like).

==>taken from : http://vision.about.com/od/severevisionloss/f/blinddreams.htm

Even those born without site don't have trouble 'visualizing' the world around them. They learn to 'see' the world in a different way. But, just because they can't recieve photons doesn't make them less enabled to know the placement of objects around them. They [not so] simply have to make use of the other senses. Hearing is usually used most strongly after vision.

Just put earplugs in, and try walking around outside. It's probably not as easy as you'd think.

Yes' date=' blind people do have dreams. However, those blind since birth or very early childhood have no visual imagery in their dreams. Instead, they experience a very high percentage of taste, smell, and touch sensations in their dreams. QUOTE']

Wow smell eh. I have pretty vivid dreams most nights, and I can't say I've ever smelt anything. But then again it's a pretty useless sence for me in my everyday life. Taste maybe only a couple times that I can recall.

What I can't stand are people who say that we only dream in black and white. That's such bullshit. I get a whole lot of colour in my dreams.

I find this very hard to believe. It is the reader's digest, so they may just be talking crap, but are you sure you didn't misunderstand what they were saying?

i did not misunderstand it. in fact, that's how it was said. wew! talk about plagiarism. toinks!!

Yes' date=' blind people do have dreams. However, those blind since birth or very early childhood have no visual imagery in their dreams. Instead, they experience a very high percentage of taste, smell, and touch sensations in their dreams.

The breakdown is as follows:

There are no visual images in the dreams of those born without any ability to experience visual imagery in waking life.

Individuals who become blind before the age of five seldom experience visual imagery in their dreams.

Those who become sightless between the ages of five and seven may or may not retain some visual imagery.

Most people who lost their vision after age seven continue to experience at least some visual imagery, although its frequency and clarity often fade with time.

==> taken from :http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/11187

experience of vision first is needed before it can be translated into a dream. Those blind for a lifetime instead experience other keenly developed senses in their dreams--i.e., the sensation of moving around, the emotion of joy, etc.

Dream images of the blind instead seem to be reconstructions of objects based on sensory input such as touch and sound, just as occurs in waking life. Some images are constructs based on input from other senses (and on what the dreamer has been told by the sighted about what these objects look like).

==>taken from : http://vision.about.com/od/severevisionloss/f/blinddreams.htm[/quote']

so instead of sight they feel, taste and smell. i'll try to find more facts for this matter. thanks for the informations guys.

"What I can't stand are people who say that we only dream in black and white. That's such bullshit. I get a whole lot of colour in my dreams."

I only dream in black and white...

I wonder what that means about me. Probably that I secretly want to be a woman.

I've been reading some Freud recently

"What I can't stand are people who say that we only dream in black and white. That's such bullshit. I get a whole lot of colour in my dreams."

I only dream in black and white...

I wonder what that means about me. Probably that I secretly want to be a woman.

I've been reading some Freud recently

really? wow... I actually never read anything Freud said... but i'll have too...

dreams are cool... especially when you have lucid ones!

about the blind dreams. I just have a question, is there a hierarchy. because normally, sight and hearing are the main things we have in dreams, with the rest being nearly irrelevent. so would blind people usually have, i guess hearing and touch dreams? does anyone know someone who's been blind from birth to ask them?