A universal equation

dstebbins

Physics is really just a complicated application of mathematics. 99% of everything you learn in physics class are equations and/or inequalities that explain why things work the way they do. The problem with this is that there are literally tens of thousands of different equations to tediously memorize.

Sure, we don't know everything about the universe, but that shouldn't stop us from putting what we DO know in a single, mile-long equation that would cover everything physics-related known to man, from kicking a soccer ball to a planet orbiting a star. For things as simple as the former, variables that are not needed can just represent zero if adding and subtracting and one if multiplying and dividing.

I don't understand why some Einstein equivalent of the 21st century hasn't thought of this universal equation like I have. Having a single equation that covers fifty sheets of paper at 12 pt font may look intimidating at first to the average person, but at least we wouldn't have to memorize a million different equations and then pick which one is best for the situation at hand, because one size would fit all.

Comments?

How exactly would you suggest such an equation being formed?

If you were to put everything into one equation, you would be linking up E=MC2 with F=MA. I'm thinking, would it even be possible to put all these equations together without them all confusing eachother?

Or, do you mean one equation which 'rules' the universe. I believe that is what they are doing with Supersting/M-Theory - trying to find the ultimate equation for everything.

A bit like in the Doctor Who episode, School Reunion where these aliens were getting schoolkids to find the ultimate equation so they could control time and matter itself. With that equation, they could mould the universe in the way they wanted. Even bring back the dead i think.

I believe there are already people trying to form the perfect equation for the universe but it must be pretty damn difficult. Cut them some slack.

To be honest, I think finding such an equation must be like finding the answer to the meaning of life. When the answer is found or the equation formed, what point is there in living? I personally believe the meaning of life is to search for the answer to that question - and i suppose, along with the ultimate equation.

As some say, its all in the thrill of the chase.

forensic mad, E=mc^2 and F=ma can be joined to F=(E/c^2)a although thats mixing newtonian and einsteinian mechanics and isn't so good. F=ma has an einsteinian equivalent.

the big problem with one single equation is that we don't have a way of linking gravitation into it. electromagnetism and weak and strong nuclear forces go in ok but gravity doesn't.

as for forensic mad, I'm talking about the latter of which you suggested.

And how is gravity an issue? I'm not calling you a liar, I just want an explanation, because all you said was that gravitation couldn't be linked to it without even beginning to explain why.

I'm just a high-school student who is about to enter his senior year, so please excuse any naivity that I may demonstrate.

forensic mad' date=' E=mc^2 and F=ma can be joined to F=(E/c^2)a although thats mixing newtonian and einsteinian mechanics and isn't so good. F=ma has an einsteinian equivalent.

[/quote']

Hmm, had no idea about that. I just wanted to pick 2 random equations as examples. Thanks for pointing that out though.

And by the way, I am only 16. I know nothing in comparison to some of the people here. I was just adding my 2 cents (dont know the british equivalent to that expression)

dstebbins, unfortunately i don't really know WHY gravity cannot be made to fit or whatever. but i think it has something to do with the way that general relativity breaks down once you get to the quantum scale and quantum field theory breaks down once you get to the macroscopic field. swansont or severian will be able to tell you more.

forensicmad, your 16 so you should have done basic substitution algebra(or else the american education system is a hell of a lot worse than i thought.) so you should know that equations with like terms can be combined. just requires a bit of fiddling around.

allso its alot easier to remember and apply 100 different equations than it is to remember and apply 1 massive equation thats a composite of 100 equations.

the key is that every memory has to have a purpose or you'll forget it very quickly.